• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My Hampden North American Railway "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Back in March I bid on and won a Hampden watch that had very little info and only 3 pictures. One picture of the face side one of the back and one of the bottom of the holder the watch was mounted in. My bid was $51 plus a nominal shipping fee.

When the watch arrived I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had bought a N. A. Railway.

The watch had several issues such as a broken mainspring, several hair lines and a bad chip on the dial and the frame of the case had been drilled in order to attach the holder. What had been a high grade pocket watch had become a desk clock. Below is the picture that I bid on.

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
A couple of weeks later I found a like new Dueber-Hampden display case. It cost me $98 plus shipping.

I sent the case and movement to our own Samie Smith and he worked his magic and returned this.

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
View of the back.

posted
Last week I won this dial with a bid of $15.50 plus shipping. The only blemish on it is a very small chip that takes away a part of the 0 in the red 50 minute mark.

posted
And here is the finished product. Even including shipping I have less than $200 invested. Samie and I did some trading for the service work. The watch is keeping RR time and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks for looking,

Joe

posted
Joseph, Very nice job. Hang onto that desk clock case. Those are collectable items.

Tom

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Nice work Joe, shows it is still possible to do a restoration without great expense. Hampdens are essentially undiscovered and therefore unappreciated by the "watch-snobs" which means those of us who know what they are and how good they are can find some real bargains. Wink

(By the way, with a red "Extra Fine Point" Sharpie brand pen and a steady hand you can complete the top of that "0" to look very nice. Smile Give it a try, you'll like the results!)

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Joe looks like a nice dial the watch looks great now. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
Hi Joe,

I'm catching up on some of the posts and saw this one and just had to comment on what a sharp looking Hampden that is. I once had a neat Hampden in a swing-out case that I regrettably sold.

I like the projects that rescue a neglected piece and restore it to good looks and service. Like Lindell said, I think the Hampdens are a bit "undiscovered" and under appreciated still and make wise investments currently. Thanks for sharing yours. Smile

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006