Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham watchmaker Olof Ohlson? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
Hi all!
Got this book from a retiered watchmaker here in Sweden. It´s named "Helpful information for watchmakers". It was written by Olof Ohlson and he titled himself "superintendent of watchmaking".
On the inside of the front cover, there is a clip from a Swedeish newspaper.
Here is a bit of what is written:

"Olof Ohlson has passed away in Newtonville, Massachussets, in the age of 81. Ohlson was designing watchs for the known firm, Waltham Watch Co and made several inventions. One of Stockholms wattchmaker, Edward Sundman have had the oportunity to work with mr Ohlson.

Now I wonder;
1. Does anyone have more information about Olof Ohlson?
2. What is a "Ohlson regulator"?
3. Are you ware of any other great inventions by Ohlson?
4. What is a "superintendent of watchmaking". Maybe I could guess but it would be interesting to hear anyway.

Did not know if this is better in time zone stories but It isn´t ment as a story in the first place, it´s morlike getting knowledge about this watchmaker. So I put it here!

Best wishes, and hope you all will have a great weekend!
/Bernhard

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
posted
Something got wrong with the text about the nespaper clipp. A lot of it disappear. I try to get a little of it here and keep on doing it after "Edward Sundman have had the oportunity to work with mr Ohlson".

OHlson was born in Gävle, 250 km north of Stockholm. He got his watchmaking education in sweden but went to US in the age of 20 and was soon employed by Waltham. When I (Sundman) was working with him, aroun 1900, he was the "master mechanic". He made several invention, both according to wathes and tools. He constructed a regulator called, "Ohlson regulator". He was many years at Waltham but in older days he got employed by Chelsea Clock Company.
I (Sundman) has a book written by him, "Helpful information for watchmaker".
28/2 1946

Another picture

posted
another

posted
and another

posted
and the last

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
The Ohlson micrometer regulator used by Walthan is the one that looks something like the figure "8". It was commonly used on the 16 size Model 1908 movements as well as several others.
To me, Ohlson's title, "Superintendant of Watchmaking" would be about the same as the more modern title of "plant manager".

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
The Ohlsen regulator can be seen in this rather late example of a 23J Waltham Vanguard.

The Superintendant of Watchmaking would have reported to the General Superintendant who would have been responsible for the machine works and physical plant as well as watchmaking.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Hello Bernhard,

You have a nice piece of Sweden ephemera, glad that you have it. I like especially the layout of the book with the large fonts and drawings, does it have a printing date?

Regards

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Bernhard,
WOW! They are great! What a find!

I just love finding things like these, and yours are like new.
Congratulations!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Carlos and Sheila!
Yes, it´s hardly never used, and I like the newspaper clipp that comes with it. It gets it a bit more alive. I have no printing date on it but before 1946 because of the newspaper clipp.

Tom and Ed;
As far I understand, the Ohlson regulator is the common regulator that quite a lot of the mvt are equipped with?!

Thank you all for your participation.
/Bernhard

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Ohlson patented the regulator in July 1908 and it appears first on the 1908 model 16 size watches. The patent number is 894457.

I recall it mostly appears on the 16 and 18 size railroad watches. I don't have any examples on other watches, but they may exist.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002