Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Champion? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi to all . . .

My name is Eric Wells, and I am a newish member from Merrimack, NH. In my job I travel throughout the Northeast, and as such I poke around countless antique, jewelry and pawn shops looking for timepiece discoveries. A lot of fun (but it can get expensive). Almost every week I find amazing surprises. For example, yesterday I found three interesting watches in New Hampshire. A coin shop yielded a coin silver HC Grade 80 Elgin from 1883 and a 23J Seth Thomas Model 5 with DS pressed dial that needs a staff. Total price for both - $120. The pawn shop down the same block had a coin silver OF 16s Waltham KW ser. no. 1730588. Marked "Champion" in script and "Waltham, Mass". The dial says "A. W. Co. Waltham". $25, running. Can anyone fill me in on the Champion? The serial number doesn't correspond to any database that I have. Thanks.

I look forward to being a member, learning from you all, and contributing where I can.

Eric Wells

Posts: 137 | Location: Merrimack, New Hampshire in the USA | Registered: December 18, 2012
IHC Member 1357
posted
Eric,looking at 2 databases I come up with Wm.Ellery Mod.1877 11jewels Key wind.Does any of this resemable the watch you are looking at?I know I would not hesitate to purchase it.
Regards
Roger

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Welcome Eric! I'm not familiar with the Champion model. Maybe someone else can comment from experience.

Not sure if this will help, but here's what the Pocket Watch database says about the serial number:

Grade: William Ellery

Movement Serial Number:1730588
Estimated Production Year: 1882
Run Quantity: 1000
Size: 18s
Jewels: 11j
Movement Configuration: Openface
Model: 1877
Movement Setting: Key
Plate: Full Plate
Adjusted: Yes

Shugart's book lists the Champion as an 18s, 15j model 1877 open face watch with a value of $50 wholesale, $75 average retail, and $125 pristine.

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
posted
quote:
Movement Configuration: Openface
Model: 1877
Movement Setting: Key

I just checked the movement. Darned if it isn't an 18s. The bezel made it look smaller, and the case is more compact than the KW I am accustomed to. Will teach me to be more careful when I post in the future. Thanks.

Eric Wells

Posts: 137 | Location: Merrimack, New Hampshire in the USA | Registered: December 18, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Welcome from to IHC185 from a fellow member from Revere MA Eric!!

I sure would like to get my hands on that Champion! That was produced the year that my Dad was born.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ehrhardt's Gold book shows the 18s Key Wind Waltham Model 77 "Champion" at$75.00 in 1980's prices so if it is in restorable condition, it is certasinly worth picking up for what really is the case value.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Welcome Eric. Smile

If you're able, please post a picture of the 23-jewel Seth Thomas so I can add it to the database.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
Thanks to everyone for the welcome and the info. Here is the Seth Thomas.

Eric Wells

posted
BTW, the Elgin and the Champion are "in the shop" right now for maintenance. Will post a photo of the Champion when it is finished. I don't consider myself a Seth Thomas guy, but in my travels I have acquired an absolutely gorgeous 260 and also a 25J Maiden Lane, which is the shop as well. At the other end of the spectrum, I have a Century, which is a nice, big carrying watch.

Eric Wells

posted
Thanks for the picture, Eric. You have one of the rarest Model 5 Seths ever made. Out of a total of 200 serial numbers that were blocked out for the 23-jewel "fishscale" variant, only 21 have surfaced.

Click here for the IHC185 Seth Thomas page.

My "unicorn" Seth - the Grade 272:

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008