Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A cheap Howard ??? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
One always hears how Howard never made a cheap or low-jeweled watch. Well, how about this Keystone-Howard? This is the only gilt movement I have seen, and the only 7-jewel movement I have seen. Shugart says it was an export model, but I have my doubts.

[I have some restoration to do on this one. It needs a balance staff, hairspring and roller table.]

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Jerry, You are correct. I have never seen nor have I ever seen one like that listed. With "USA" on the dial, I would assume it was for export.

Tom

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Jerry,

Is there any literature to support the watch as a Howard product?

I could imagine it was actually sold as a Keystone New York Standard line or another off the wall Keystone product.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Other than the mention in Ehrhardt & Meggers' "Beginning to end" book and in Shugart's price guide I have seen no reference to this model. It is an interesting thought that Keystone may have produced this for one of their lesser brands, but the plates and parts are identical to the early Keystone-Howards. The serial number is also within their Howard line of watches. These facts lead me to consider this a private label or anonymous Howard (much as Equity was an anonymous Waltham product).

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
All,

This movement model looks like one of those that Waltham made for Keystone circa 1903. Perhaps Waltham made some in lower grades for other private label resellers as well.

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Actually, this is quite different from the 3/4-plate movements made by Waltham for Howard. You can see some examples of these in THIS THREAD. This Climax movement is one of the earlier Keystone-made movements and bears some coincidental design elements similar to a Hamilton, but there is no genetic relationship. Among the key Keystone-Howard characteristics of the Climax movement is the square hairspring stud.

E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
Hi Jerry,

Yeah, I see what you mean. The resemblance to the Waltham Howards is superficial at most, although I'd call them split, or divided lates, not 3/4 plates. Cheers.

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003