• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

992B winding "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
hello all. my 992B #C505200 runs great but I notice that when I let it run down all the way and then wind it up again the second hand doesn't move until the watch is almost all the way wound. is this a problem or just how this particular watch is? thanks

Posts: 458 | Location: Norfolk, Virginia in the USA | Registered: July 24, 2009
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Hi Joe,
Sounds like it may need a clean and oil or perhaps it's out of beat. Some of my watches need a gentle side to side shaking after a couple turns of the crown. If their running great they take off almost as soon as you start winding them. I'm not a jeweler or watchmaker but that's been my experience.
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
thanks Richard. sounds like good advice to me

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Hi Joe,
I would venture to say that more than 50% of the running watches out there need to be poised. Generally that will be the cause of what you describe. This is what most good watchmakers do, but I said "good" Wink It takes a bit of tinkering and sometimes a lot of time and time is money in timing a watch and adjusting the balance. I had one watchmaker tell me he could get a watch to keep within 15 seconds +/- a week, but at a hourly charge Roll Eyes
Since theres no longer any RR requirements or if you will "have to's", most of us are happy to see a antique watch keep within 1 minute +/- per day and we tend to prize the ones that will still keep that "RR" time. There are so many things that come into play when a watchmaker takes a watch in for repair today; wear to parts, bad repair work sometime in the past that has to be redone, etc. etc. etc Wink
Just remember, they are antiques and don't expect them to keep quartz accuracy or function like a new out of the box with factory set/timed abilities Smile
Regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
thanks Buster. I do like your reminder that these watches are antiques and not to be as accurate as a quartz. However, they do have so much more style and class than anything out there today.