• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Confused with an Illinois "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Ok, I'm confused. I have a Illinois, serial #5300461. Meggers book shows the serial number as 16s 19j, Model 9, Grade 707 1930. Doesn't look like anything special & certainly not rare by the number produced. Yet, on page 141 it states #4 "Examples of the Grade "707" have been reported but not seen; therefore, it's markings and description are tentative and are based on the Grade "706". Movements finished after 1928 may be marked "Illinois Watch, Springfield" and may also bear the Grade number. "Double Roller" is probable but not confirmed."
What am I missing? Sounds rare, but can't be with the total produced. Am I reading this wrong? Thanks, Jim

Posts: 273 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008
posted
movement2

posted
movement3

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
James,

I read the same thing......very strange. It says 3900 of them were made. Why are they so seldom seen would be anyones guess. Nice looking movement. What does the dial look like? Definately made by Hamilton as the "Co." has been dropped.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This one is confusing to me too, the grade 706 was made between 2526401-5181900 & they made 44,870 in 91 runs from 1913-1929 & were both marked & unmarked as 706 & were open face 19j 3 adj.

But your number doesn't fit in there, but it looks just like a 406. So I don't know

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
I hope someone will be able to solve this...

posted
rest of the watch

posted
I bought this out of a house with a bunch of other "stuff". It was a beater I thought. Hairlines, lots of brass... Maybe not?

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
But it has a Illinois watch company dial doesn't it Steve?

Tom

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Tom,

It's a grade "707", that's why the numbers didn't fit. I thought at first this might be a 706 as well but the Illinois book, as far as the serial number is concerned, says it's a 707. Strange to find an arrows in dial on it if it is all original but maybe they were using left over parts to complete it. The arrows in were phased out in the mid 20's. But what can you say, I think Hamilton did some wierder things to the Illinois brand than Illinois themselves did.

Just keep in mind, Hamilton was trying to use up as much as they could of the leftover inventory of Illinois parts.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

I thought we were still trying to figure out if it was a 707 or not since no one had ever seen one, I guess I missed where it was confirmed.

Tom

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Tom,

In that other post regarding the Keystone case, the link you provided shows adds from Hamilton offering the grade 707. I found that link very interesting and would think Hamilton would not have advertised them if they were not available and this is one from their factory. Maybe this was one that escaped Mr. Ehrhardt and Mr. Meggars all those years.

Steve

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

I missed that, when I read those posts it was before this watch got posted so I never made the connection, too much stuff to try to remember. Now I have to go back & read it again.

Thanks
Tom