WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

For the Waltham gurus, Riverside 16s 19j HC and info about them "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I picked up a Waltham 16s 19j hunter with a conversion dial and open face case. As much as I can tell is this is a model 1899 sn in the 15M range. It looks a lot like my 21j 645 in DMK effect but is marked Riverside like my 19j and is a pendant set like my OF Riverside 19j. In one of my old Roy E price guides it shows the Riverside in the 19j being available in OF in both LS and PS and the HC in PS only, all three more expensive (same price for all 3) than the 21j Crescent Street or the 645.

I thought it was worth what I paid for it but I wonder how many of these 19j Riversides were produced. There is nothing in the price guide about a 19j but they show the 21j hunter being a 1 star watch.

Sometimes I drift away from Elgin and Hampden and will pick up a Waltham but I am no where in the ballpark as some and don't know a great deal about them

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
Claude, the Waltham database shows that 10,390 1899 HC 19 Jewel Riversides were made. You can find the information here on this site:

Waltham Movement Numbers

Select the Waltham Movement Numbers link and pick 'up' in the upper left corner. Then on the page that comes up select 'model and grade' in the list and put in 1899 and riverside, it will show the quantities produced.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
posted
About 10,400 is not a extremely common amount so it should end up being a nice restored hunter when it is done. Thanks for the information!!!

IHC Member 1110
posted
Claude, Does that Riverside have an original porcelain dial, or a metal replacement?Is it marked 5 positions? I know the LS open face were a real popular Railroad, but I don't know about the hunters....Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
It arrived yesterday so I can take some pictures of it. It is only marked adjusted but being around 1907 that might be in the transition time where they did not have the positions marked yet. It has a metal conversion dial and was in an open face case so I don't know if the case got scrapped during one of the recessions/depressions or it it got swapped out sometime later.

I may keep it as a conversion dial but put it in a silveroid or gold case since the base matel case is good for a 15-17j wear watch but not for a higher jewel watch. I will try to clean the dial since it is dirty, maybe I will have it restored to a while or silver look since I do not have a conversion dial watch in my collection.