Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

WAltham Staffing Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1247
posted
Greetings ....
I have a newbie question on a Waltham 18s balance staff 1365.Is this a RIVET staff since I see no blue hub on the balance arm?have done some friction staffing but not tried this yet,I have the Bulova watchmaking manual to assist...my question is if it is riveted do I use a speading punch after it is seated or only the flat riviting punches?
Mark

Posts: 97 | Location: Virginia in the USA | Registered: May 10, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mark, The Waltham 1365 Balance staff you ask about is a Rivet style staff. While the Bulova school book is excellent for study, practice and classroom work, as a "D.I.Y." type you might find it simpler to follow the more explicit instructions written by H.B Fried in his "Watch Repairer's Manual". This is still in print if you wish to get a copy.

I address your question with Mr. Fried's guidance from Pages 117-120 of his 1949 edition of said book . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
then . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
and then . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
and finally . . .

posted
The only thing that could possibly be added is that you must make sure everything is scrupulously clean and there are no metal burrs on either the balance staff or the arms of the balance wheel at the center hole.

Regards, John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005
IHC Member 1247
posted
David...thank you for your work putting together that excellent tutorial for me and the rest of the newbies ! Guess I need to get a copy of Frieds manual,and also thanks to John for his input

Regards,Mark

Posts: 97 | Location: Virginia in the USA | Registered: May 10, 2009