Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need help with Elgin "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I just bought this 3 Finger Bridge Elgin that is marked 21 jewel Adjusted. It is open face and pendant set. The serial # is 8,497,188. The elgin dated base has been down for a some time now. I was hoping some one else could tell me the grade. I have not had time to replace the staff or do a clean oil on it yet either. Double sunk dial with no hairlines or chips.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
That is a Grade 162, Sadly under-valued in the price guide as only $225 base. Should be $500.00 compared to the 1980 valuation of $200.00 in Ehrhardt.

This Model 7 bridge (three finger) is one of 4,000 ever made in 4 runs from 1895 to 1910. Made in 1899, yours should be fitted with a diamond endstone, fully RR adjusted and deserves the best case and restoration you can give it.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
That is what I thought when I paid $100 for it. I did not know it was a pendent set.

posted
Eugene-

The last one on ebay in a gf case brought about $375. I have a nice one too. They seem to be picking up on their price lately, so very good find!

Thanks,

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
I buy things for 2 reasons. 1 to turn to make a profit. The other to collect. I thought when I seen this. Now this is a good looking movement that must have a low production that needs save, I will keep this for a while.
Maybe find a few more to save.

IHC Life Member
posted
Watch is back together and run ON TIME. Balance is running flat and in the round.

I do not have a Elgin 16sz case that is good shape. But will have one soon as there are a lot of good elgin case's out there.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Gene, I have case I have been saving for a movment of that quality. If you want to use it, I will be glad to sell it to you. Please e-mail me at david@glopar.com for particulars. (Sorry I had to use the eBay listing pictures).

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The Grade 162 movement is lovely, one of Elgin's highest grade movements. While strongly encourage you, Eugene, to restore your watch to optimal condition, the case and dial Dave seems to be suggesting look inappropriate to me. Your movement dates to around 1899. Shown below is what your Grade 162 should likely end up looking. It is SS#8,497,439 from my collection, which is within a few hundred serial numbers from your watch below. I am no expert in originality, but I believe the case dial and hands are original, in part because the 14k Roy case is inscribed "Nov. 5th, 1899."

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Back.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Dave my watch has a Ruby jewel and not a Diamond end stone. That is a lovely case that you have. But being a pendant set watch. The notch that is in that case that you so have generously offered to sell me would not of been there. And the long pendant like Ethan has posted is closer to what I had in mind. Thank You Kindly Gene.

posted
My 162 in a triple hinge case, these are beautiful movements. I picked mine up for less than a mid-book 992B

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Ethan, Claude are your watches pendant set also.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Pendent set.

posted
I think all 156/162's were like the 155/161's and were pendant set. This was at a time when they had not decided nor made much of an issue on the PS/LS configuration and these watches would have been railroad approved when produced. My case does not have cut out for a lever.

Ethan what are the initials on that case back, I see what looks to be a C and maybe an S but some other letter appears buried in there. Someone had fun with that case back, wonder what that would cost now if you had the same work done.

It also looks like your case is a triple hinge also.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Claude, I find deciphering florid engraved initials challenging. I am guessing that the initials are C.C.S. One "C" is clear. The "S" is fairly clear. The remaining letter looks like a smaller "C" angling 45 degrees from the plane of the back toward the viewer and literally hanging on the other two letters.

I think this watch has a three-hinge case, but it is in my safety deposit box and the photos I have don't clearly show the hinges.

posted
Ethan don't feel alone, I see some of these stylistic initials and wonder if I need to go back in time and get Timothy Leary (sp)while he is on a trip to decipher them. I have a couple of watches that have these engravings and for the life of me I don't know what the initials are.

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a photo with the new case. It is an Elgin pendant set case- no lever slot cut.

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is the back of the case. 20 year Illinois Watch case co.