Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
LET'S HELP THE ELGIN HISTORICAL SOCIETY MUSEUM! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Thanks Greg

You can find a list of railroad movements in the third post of this subject. Other watches and ephemera are welcome as well but the listed movements would constitute a good representation of Elgin's railroad production.

I've tried to space the table out a bit to make it more readable. It is pretty hard to do if one isn't familiar with html. (I am obviously not!).

[I've reformatted the table and posted as a jpeg. Please see 3rd post on page 1 of this thread.]

Posts: 388 | Location: Wheaton, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: December 20, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Thanks Steve and Ron,

Anything that needs to be put together or serviced send it along to me and I'll coordinate the efforts from here. I can also come up with a proper evaluation for tax purposes, photograph and post an image once all the work is completed. Thanks to everyone for their generosity.

Send those in need of evaluation, service or assembly to:

Lindell V. Riddle
1052 SOM Center Road
Mayfield, OH 44143-3547

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Elgin Historian
IHC Life Member
posted
Jim Cope's post cards would be appreciated. These particular cards are rarely seen images.

The two watches donated by by Julian Smith arrived at the Museum yesterday and are in the safe pending processing into the collection. These are ladies watches, circa 1950. They are a little worn but clean and make for good examples of the very small movements made (sorry I do not knwo the exact size right off hand). They be worked into the display somewhere.

The museum has one or two 1876 Elgin Almanacs in our archives. If we had a third copy we would use it on display. Paper products, especially ones that old, fade and deteriorate under light so having a third copy that we could "sacrifice" for display purposes is helpful.

Again, let me say that our goal is to exhibit as many examples of Elgin products as possible. While collectors are more selective in what they want for the personal use the Museum's goal is be broad based and educational.

Also let me say that the buzz from of this project has got our Board of Directors excited. Once there is some sustained momentum from it we will probably seek out press coverage. Thanks to all Chapter 185 readers for the help.

Posts: 23 | Location: Elgin, Illinois USA | Registered: December 05, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
It's always hard to part with your "stuff"! However, I'm willing to donate something that was used in the Elgin Watch Factory. It's a ten movement assembly tray for 12s, grade 315 movements. There were over one million of these movements made between 1903 to 1939. I'll even throw in a 12s parts movement (in parts). Big Grin

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Does anyone have an actual grade 315, 15j, 12s movement to go with this?

IHC Life Member
posted
I need to add that other grade and size movements were probably assembled from this tray in prior years. It just so happens that the last time this tray was used at the factory was during assembly of grade 315 movements. It has a little round tag on the outside with the numbers "315" and S/N 18,360,481.

My guess is that this tray was retired around 1914 following some sort of new assembly process. Anyway, were lucky that the tag remained with the tray to help date and describe what it was used for.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
I've got some more fun stuff to donate if they are things the museum could use. I will work out getting them to the museum with Lindell.

Two mainspring boxes:

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Mainspring Box #2:

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Shipping Box for 18s watch. Top view:

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Watch Inspector pocket advertisement (front):

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Back:

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Postcard #1 (used from 1909):

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Postcard #2 (used from 1906)

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Postcard #3 (unused)

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
This is a neat gilded coffee cup? with a picture of the Elgin factory:

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Another view of the porcelain cup:

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
And finally...

This a non-working 16s 21J BW Raymond "run of the mill" pocket watch, not sure of the grade. Won't wind currently, but a skilled person could probably get it going. Most likely it needs to be cleaned. It is in average condition overall, but it is good example of an original case/dial/movement.

Face of watch:

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Movement:

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Wow John!

You do have some interesting items. I enjoyed just looking at them.

Thanks.

Debbie

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Wonderful material John! Big Grin

and the B W Raymond looks like a Grade 478 in s Style 26 case;
on the list and definitely Cool Cool

Thank you for a very generous contribution!
Ron

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
On April 20th, Greg Davis wrote:
quote:
Okay, I'll check my dial collection and see if I have any loose Elgin fancies. Otherwise, I'll send along a watch with a fancy attached... in addition to the 1876 Almanac (which I invite you to sacrifice).

Today, I received an email from Greg that in addition to the Almanac, he sent Elisabeth Marston at the Museum a very nice 15 jewel Grade 306 from 1904 with a fancy dial.

Thank you Greg. This will be a very nice addition to the Museum's display.

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Here's a couple of railroads on the wish list. First is an 18 size BW Raymond Grade 116, Model 5p in a Silveroid swing ring case.

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
and the second is a 16 size BW Raymond Gr 372 with nice Montgomery dial:

IHC Life Member
Picture of Douglas Addy
posted
I have an 18s JT Ryerson sn 32154 7jewels, KW/KS with correct dial but not running. If you can use this I will sent to Lindell for necessary cleaning.

Doug

LM 64

Posts: 138 | Location: Magdalena, New Mexico USA | Registered: April 01, 2006
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
That would be GREAT Doug. Thanks for your contribution!

Ron

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
I have just visited the Museum and had a chance to view the items they have received.

The items received so far are very impressive! Cool

The Museum's volunteer staff will be working on these over the summer, preparing them for display.

As Elisabeth Marston, Museum Director says:
quote:
I wanted to thank you [all] for turning the Museum's terrible theft into a positive group effort to rebuild the Museum's watch collection. I am so pleased with all the items coming in whether they are watches, postcards, catalogs, or ENWC tools.

There is still time to participate in this very worthwhile IHC Chapter 185's project.

There is still a need for a couple of 18s railroad models and some pretty common 16s grades.

Please see the table on the first page of this thread for details!

Ron

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Thanks to John Flahive, the Elgin Museum now has an 18s 23j Veritas Gr 214 and another 18s 19j BWR Gr 240; both delivered at the IHC 185 tables at National. I'll post photos and update the target list when I get back home.

Thanks John!

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Now, the latest donation...

An Elgin B. W. Raymond 571-C Variant which means "9 Adjustments" markings from 1952 production. It is housed in the correct and clearly marked Model 3055 Yellow Gold-Filled Case.

Elgin B. W. Raymond is an uncommon 571-C Variant...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Here, unusual "9-Adjustments" variant markings...

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Fantastic Lin!

That is a beautiful example of the end of the line for the 16s Raymond.

Thank you for another very generous contriibution.

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Ron,
Could you give us all an update on the Elgin Historical Society Museum and its collection of Elgin watches. Smile

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
Elgin Historian
IHC Life Member
posted
I'll give you a bit of an update. I'm the treasurer of the museum, among other things. The museum just finished opening a big exhibit on Elgin's Jewish community. It was two years in the making and took up much of our voulnteer energies over the last several months have been tied up with that project. With this task behind us we will be turning our attention back to the watch exhibit. Supplies have been ordered and some planning has taken place for an exhibit upgrade which will include the recent donations. Some new cabinetry needs to be constructed. Other cabinets will get minor remodeling. The museum usually closes in January and February to allow for exhibit upgrades, painting, cleaning, etc. and the watch exhibit work will be completed during that period. Once again, thanks for all the help and support. We aspire to be the best archive of material on the Elgin National Watch Company.

Posts: 23 | Location: Elgin, Illinois USA | Registered: December 05, 2003
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Thanks for asking Tony. A status update was definitely overdue.

Bill described the status pretty well. Let me add:

The museum's staff is very small made up by an energetic and committed group of volenteers. While the largest portion of the exhibit space is dedicated to the National Watch Company, the museum's mission is much more broad. While the watch exhibit is permanent, much of the rest of the museum is reinvented over a year's time. As a result, it is an interesting and vibrant place to visit.

Thanks to the generosity of Ch 185 members, the watch exhibit is getting a substantial upgrade.

Ron