• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Variant HG Dial "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I had not seen this dial before and thought the board might be interested in seeing it. The dial is essentially a HG (some call box car) found on the 992 & 992e, but with extra heavy min markers and arrows for the 5 min markers. A bit of Bunn spl influence? It fronts a 992e movement, and rides in a Ham WGF #5 case.

Charlie

IHC Life Member

Picture of Fred R. Hougham
posted
Charles,
I have this same dial on a Hamilton 950. I have it marked in my inventory book as a Swiss replacement dial, but i could be wrong, I've never pulled the dial and inspected it.
Fred

Posts: 324 | Location: Daytona Beach, Florida USA | Registered: November 29, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
here is the dial seen a lot on the 992e ..this dial is on a 992e..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member

posted
Heres another variant of a Hamilton dial with the outward pointing arrows ( I think also a swiss replacement)
fred

Posts: 324 | Location: Daytona Beach, Florida USA | Registered: November 29, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Guys,

From what I'm seeing the dial Charlie put up with the outward pointing triangles is the genuine article. When I first noticed this particular variant and asked Terry Hall about it he confirmed it as a correct mid-thirties Hamilton dial. Since then I've come across a few others. The ones like Charlie's that I have in my collection and those I've seen elsewhere are on 992E movements around the 2,600,000 serial number range. These variants are uncommon and to me they are very good looking.

The dial Samie showed us is the more familiar design used on most early to mid 1930s 992E and also on some of the very early 950E movements. There is also a slightly different version of that dial used from the late 1930s to the end of 992E production. It is on the far right in the image below.

I believe the dial in Fred's image above is a modern-day replacement and a represents a recent computer compilation probably not based on any original factory issued dial design.

"Outward HG" Hamilton, an Illinois it relates to, and later HG version...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

The same three dials shown in the same positions, just turned over...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Charlie and all......

An excellent opportunity to study these examples in 'close proximity'.....

Look carefully at the differences between Charlie's dial and Fred's dial....

On a side note, have seen examples of Illinois dials with the HG hour markers instead of the markers shown in Lindell's photo...

If Fred pulls his example and photographs the rear, I believe more differences can be distinguished...

IHC Life Member

posted
Guys,
Heres the dial thats on the 950 Hamilton thats similiar to Charles original post. When I get some time( ya right!) I'll pull the dials and take a look at the backs. It would be nice if they were original because I agree, they look unique.
Fred

Image002_(2).jpg

posted
Well Fred, the good news is you can take that Swiss asterisk off the 950 in your inventory.

It appears to be the same dial that Lindell & I have, and they are double sunk porcelain dials.

What vintage movement is your 950.

Charlie

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Fred,

The second dial you posted should turn out to be genuine. Like Charlie, I predict it will look just like the lower-left on the group of three I posted together above.

Lindell

Wink

IHC Life Member

posted
charlie,
The 950 is # 2505341---approx. 1931

posted
Thanks Fred,
That's right in the ball park with the 992e's.

posted
Hi to all, I apprciate the opportunity to contribute. Here's the skinny on these dials, from what I have seen in my 33 years of collecting. I have seen in the past 10 years or so around 2 dozen of these Hamilton HG dials with the outer pointing arrows, they are not rare but are uncommon, they turn up even less frequently in single sunk. They also exist exactly as the same dial, same hour chapters, same outward pointing arrows but with "Illinois" on the dial for some of the Bunn Specials finished in the mid 30's and thereafter until the end of production or assembly by Hamilton of the Illinois inventory. These particular Illinois dials are even less common and I have seen around 10-12 of those in the last 10 years. They were also available in single sunk but are usually only seen on the late late 161A's in single sunk. The 5.5 and 5.6 million serial number watchs. These are NOT Swiss, are orginal dials made by Hamilton in the 30's and 40's for both their own watchs and the Illinois they were finishing in the 30's and 40's after the Illinois buyout. Again they are not rare but uncommon as they do not turn up at every show. I used to buy every one I saw until I had around a dozen or so and then the thrill was gone....yes I have sold them all, in 2000 and 2001 when I first thinned my collection a bit. Happy Hunting, Michael Chamelin

IHC Life Member

posted
AND THE SCORE IS TIED==1 TO 1
ORIGINAL

IHC Life Member

posted
SWISS