• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

An Elgin Box for my Pocket watch.... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I need something to put my pocket watches and wrist watches in, when not in use. Right now there is a special place on the bar about 1 1/2 square foot. Its about the only place in the house I can call "mine". Its where I dump my wallet, watch, knife, keys, handkerchief, comb and whatever else I tote around or feel like throwing there. And my wife fusses over that little tiny tiny piece of real estate more than anything else. I have been warned! No more stuff there! So I'm considering somewhere's different. I'm looking at a box, an Elgin Index Stock Control Box, out of the 30's 40's era. I'll post a few pics of it. Have not seen much of nothing on here on this subject. Maybe not much interest there. But anyways, check it out, let me know what your thoughts are....
Stevan

Posts: 65 | Location: Mississippi in the USA | Registered: March 16, 2008
posted
Another view

posted
maybe bigger:

Picture of Fabrizio Di Claudio
posted
WoW!! Is the original wood box of Elgin pocket watch? I never see it. GREAT!
Fabrizio

Posts: 77 | Location: Torino in Italy | Registered: January 23, 2008
posted
Hello Fabrizio...It was an original Elgin Index Stock Control box that came from the Elgin factory and was used by a watchmaker. By the time I got back to it, it had sold for $28.00
Stevan

IHC Member
posted
Stevan-Your wife must be related to mine! I'm lucky,I have a 5 by 7 foot "closet" that's my little hiding place for tools, pocket watches,etc.
But that's a neat looking box-any more around? Did you get it on ebay?

Marty

posted
Well, I don't think she got relatives in NY, we are too far south of the mason Dixon line. But....No, I did not get the box, I posted it on here to get some thoughts about it or whatever one puts them in and by the time I got back to the item it was sold and yes Ebay $28. (Kick Me) I thought it was a unique box to store a few pocket watches and chains...
Stevan

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Harbor Freight sells some Key Cabinets for About $40.00 that you can put electrical shock warning stickers on them if anybody happens to find them behind the clost door.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I put some "trading stock" in these and can attest they hold plenty. It is kind of nice to rummage through them when I need some new thing to "discover".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
WOW!!! What a collection! It will take the rest of my life to collect that many that nice. But for now, all I need is a small antique box and I will find one. I might have to put a few in my gun safe when I collect a few more....
Stevan

posted
And nice walls!

posted
Here is an Elgin material box if anyone's interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-ELGIN-POCKET-WATCH-WATCHMAK...p1638Q2em118Q2el1247

Stevan