Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

This Looks Special "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi everyone;

I thought I'd show you my latest acquisition. It's a Waltham, Crescent St. (whatever that is) and looks rather special. I'm hoping it's not too common a movement but at 21 Jewels , and a gold filled case weighing in at 140 grams it sure does feel special anyway.

If anyone can shed some light, or any history about this movement I'd appreciate knowing more about it.

Thanks for looking.

Bud

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
posted
pretty and preserved well, congratulations.bud

Posts: 17 | Location: São Paulo in Brazil | Registered: November 21, 2010
posted
Hello Renato, and thank you for the nice comment.

I'm left wondering why this is so heavy. I didn't think that gold jewel settings and a gold balance wheel would make that much difference.

Bud

quote:
pretty and preserved well, congratulations.bud

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hi Bud, being an 18 size hunter from around late 1901 will give it some weight compared to the smaller 16 size Crescent St. Very beautiful movements with the gold "star" micrometer regulator.

Roland

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Really nice Crescent St. Bud! These '92 model Walthams are some of the finest railroad watches ever built.You did good!!!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Thanks Roland, and thank you Theodore for the comments. I'm glad you like it, and as soon as I saw the movement I just had to have it so it's another keeper in the box for sure.

One question though. Why is that one jewel setting (in the center there) mounted higher than all the rest? It appears to be a much larger jewel and setting than the rest as well.

Thanks again guys

Bud

IHC Member 1110
posted
Hi Bud, The 18S Vanguard model has all raised gold settings, the Crescent St, No. 845, and the Appleton Tracy & Co. grades have gold aettings with only the center one raised.I imagine that was to keep the cost down.The 16S Crescent St. has all raised gold settings, though.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Very cool. I have one of the exact same grade Crescent St. watches only in the open face version. It's one of my all time favorites.

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
posted
I think it looks so nice, that I want one. Big Grin

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
Thanks Theodore, I appreciate the information. That also makes good sense about the cost saving.

Bud

quote:
Hi Bud, The 18S Vanguard model has all raised gold settings, the Crescent St, No. 845, and the Appleton Tracy & Co. grades have gold aettings with only the center one raised.I imagine that was to keep the cost down.The 16S Crescent St. has all raised gold settings, though.

posted
Hi Chris;

Thanks for the note. I actually saw an 18s Crescent St. Open Face on eBay just the other day and was going to buy it but I forgot to go back. Old aga I think. Anyway, I really.................. what were we talikng about again?

Bud
quote:
Very cool. I have one of the exact same grade Crescent St. watches only in the open face version. It's one of my all time favorites.

posted
Be very careful Jim. I have found, during my short time as a pocket watch collector that these things not only are shaped like potato chips, you can'y be satisfied with just one.

I started only a few months ago (3 I think) and already have about 25 of these things.

Enjoying it though

Bud

quote:
I think it looks so nice, that I want one.