Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Private Label Illinois "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Hi

I have a 16 size 15 jewel getty model Illinois watch labeled Wm.J.Miller Baltimore, Md. Is there any link to the Illinois 18 size label Miller. Sorry the picture is upside down but it was the only way I could get the lettering. If anyone has a 16 size dial with the Wm.J.Miller on it I would be interested.

Thanks for any info!

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

That's one sharp looking movement Keith!

Those who have studied the private labels will know far about your watch than I but I'd agree private labels are most attractive when the dial and movement match. I too would hope to one day find a similarly marked dial. Your serial number would probably help us come with the movement specifications.

The "other" Miller was a specific grade named for one of the company founders...

John W. Bunn, John C. Adams, John T. Stuart, John Williams and William B. Miller were the astute businessmen who in 1870 put together the Illinois Springfield Watch Company. Mr. Miller was a director in the early years and is credited with going on the road to set up a direct distribution network to retailers. That difficult and time consuming task would have been a natural extension of his background as a hardware retailer.

Perhaps others can supply additional information and insights.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 48
posted
Hi

The serial number is 1526583 and looking closer it is a 17 jewel not 15 jewel as stated above. The movement is a hunter movement in a open face case.

Thanks for info.

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

OK, now I get it!

I tried looking up that number 1526583 which is what I believed I saw but the "15-Jewels" and "Hunter" did not make sense.

Number 1526583 is indeed a 16-size, Lever-Set, Hunter, 17-jewels, Model 4, Grade 175 from 1899 production according to the Meggers Illinois Encyclopedia. Yours is shown as from a run consisting of 1526401-1526600 and of course we have now way of knowing how many or how few, probably very few, were marked as your movement is.

As added verification, same book on page 247 identifies the Wm. J. Miller of Baltimore, Maryland (Ca. 1902) as known private label watches.

Hope this gets you started my friend.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 48
posted
Thanks Lin

Am I seeing this correct, this watch is from a run of only 200. How many runs of the 17 jewel model 4 grade 175 Hunter movement were made.