Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need some help or guidance..... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello Group,
I have been thinking about putting a coffee table book together. It is just in the thinking stages. I have no idea where to start. I was wondering if anyone here has been published or is in the business, that may have some advice. If you know my auctions or my photos, you will know I have had the rarest of watches. I have every photo of every watch I have sold. Thousand's of watches, over 30,000 photographs. I have sold some of the finest RR watches including all of the Illinois "seven stars". The same goes for gold pocket watches or wristwatches. I would love some input, i.e. should it be just RR watches, all watches broken into categories, is there a market, would anyone care, etc.... Also I would be interested in hearing from anyone who might be willing to collaborate on such a project of this magnitude. What are your thoughts? Feel free to move this thread to it's correct post. Best, Jim

Posts: 273 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Sergeant at Arms
Picture of Scott A. Whittey
posted
Aloha Jim
I for one think that's an excellent idea
Aloha Scott

Posts: 293 | Location: California City, California USA | Registered: May 05, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Excellent idea.I do indeed think there's a market, and have seen like books in stores.

I'd just suggest as you move forward that you make sure you have the permission of the individuals you sold watches to in order use those particular images, as many folks don't like having their belongings being shown in a public way (like a book) without first giving their ok.

I'm sure you already thought of that, though.

GREAT idea!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
James-

I've always thought of doing the same thing with my own watches, but more for my own personal use. I would think it would be a great idea. Maybe do sections on different companies.

The reason I say that is I've always thought it would be neat to have a book showing as many different South Bend models as possible, including their different patterns. The big problem with that is that the South Bends would be a book on their own!

Maybe you could do a series of books Jim. One on each company for the larger companies and possibly combine on smaller companies.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Jim, that's a great idea and I would start by first getting your stuff organized with book titles, pictures, etc. registered. The creative comes later when you start piecing the items together. My first stop would be legalzoom.com. They offer a great service to startups and give great advise before spending the big bucks. Your project sounds great. Good luck!

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008
posted
Jim, given the variety of watches you've moved, and with your talent at photography it would be a winner.

Would this be a reference book of any kind, or just kind of a Horology Hall Of Fame?

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
Glad to hear the input, guys.

Mark; I have know Idea who owns what watches or how many times they have changed hands. I do own the rights to the images though.

Carlos; Sound advice. Never thought of legalzoom. I hope not to be spending the big bucks. This is not a self publish book, that's were I need help. I want to find a publisher like Schiffer or Schroeder to publish it.

Eric; Thank you for the kind words. It would be a little of both. May even add a range of prices I sold them for. Take a 950 for example, I could list the low price I've sold one for & the highest price.

Still interested in hearing others thoughts. Thanks!

Posts: 273 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Be cautious before starting out on this project. I know. I am a published author. (My most significant work, a dense 1000-pager on business restructuring, is just coming out in a new third edition.)

I doubt you would ever earn enough royalties to justify writing the book. If that's your goal, you'd better do some market research first.

Don't write the book only to be surprised that no one will publish it. If you would be unwilling to put your MSS in a crate in the garage or to pay to get the book published yourself, make sure you line a publisher up before you start. (I have never written a book without a signed agreement with a publisher to publish it).

Don't underestimate the time and effort it will take to write a great book. I know folks who have taken years to finish them.

Make sure the market isn't already saturated with similar books, e.g., Loring's Tiffany Timepieces.

Talk to likely publishers before you start. Schiffer in Pennsylvania has published glossy books on watches, such as Fred Freidberg's The Illinois Watch or Meis' book, Pocket Watches. Ask Schiffer how well they sold.

Talk to other authors about their experience, e.g., give Fred Friedberg a call.

As much as I admire the posters encouraging you to write the book, that sort of survey information is unreliable. You likely will find that people are far more enthusiastic about the hypothetical book than the real one.

I don't want to be a total wet rag. I really enjoyed writing my 1000-pager and I learned a great deal in the course of putting it together. Even though it was a success, it probably wasn't worth the effort.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005