Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Interesting Dial on Waltham 18s - what is it? "Click" to Login or Register 

posted
Too many questions on this one...

Was the dial made via Waltham Company?

Rare or common? 1st one I have seen

What is the correct name for this type of dial?

IMHO, it is pretty neat looking...

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
It is the real deal. Waltham railroad track dial.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Member 1613
posted
I think they are called Waltham Railroader Dials...I am not sure how rare or common they are but I have seen a few but not many...I had a Santa Fe Route a while back that had that style dial but it was marked Santa Fe Route, Waltham on the dial..

Posts: 2010 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
posted
Jon,
Eek Continue to stare at the blinking eyes. You are getting ver-r-r-y sleeee-py. You are instructed to put this watch and dial up on our auction site with a $20 reserve. Eek Ha!

I don't know about the word "rare", but I think this dial is certainly scarce or uncommon. I have seen only a few of them before. Maybe its because people tend to hang on to them. Anyway, very nice! Yes, it is from Waltham.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
posted
This must be a lucky day for me! I recently bought a Candian Pacific model 1883 with such a dial and questioned the dial as I had never seen one. Now I know why I renewed my membership 10 minutes ago! Thanks for the info. I am certainly hanging onto this one.
Larry

Posts: 45 | Location: Maine in the USA | Registered: April 27, 2010
posted
Additional to the above post......since mine is a CP watch, it has the 24 hour chapter also. Wonder if this may be even scarcer than just scarce?

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Eek Wow wish all my watches have dial like yours Jon or perhaps just one Big Grin

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Larry can you post a photo of your dial.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jon, That is an excellet double sunk, rare Waltham "Boy Scout approved Railroader" dial with a collector value much greater than many watches that it might be found on.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1357
posted
Sold a Waltham dial very similar to this exception being it did not have the red nos.outside the track.Sold on this site last Sept.They are desirable dials. Regards Roger

Posts: 4094 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Jon that dial is my favorite dial. I have 1 one on a Vanguard 18s and I never see them. I would guess they are rarer than a Ferguson

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Eugene, will try to post a pic if I can get a good one from my camera. Take a look at Tom's dial, mine is the same. The difference from Jon's dial is mine is single sunk and no red minutes.

posted
Thanks Everyone -

Will post pictures of the movement hiding behind the dial. Will it be an equal to the dial? Eek

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
One version of the 24 hour dials on the Waltham CPR's has a slightly different, more rounded font and does not have the red seconds but looks very similar. They are called the "Canadian Roadmaster" dial. About half way down the thread that Tom Brown posted is the one I am referring to. Yours is a handsome dial.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
.......and finally, I ran across a picture of this dial on page 20 of "The Complete...etc" fat book. It described as an uncommon
quote:
RADIAL dial, and seen on many dials with Roman numerals.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
posted
My old Waltham materal catalogue call it a "Rail Road" model
2524-single sunk
2525-double sunk
(with the marginal 5-minute numbers)
avalaible in 16 and 18 sizes

Kevin

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Looking thru my never to be traded list I remember having the dial on a 16s Vanguard and I have it on an 18s. I happen to have an extra 18s dial I wanted to put on a 17j Vanguard some day. I do think out of all the watches I have ever had this is my favorite railroad service dial. I have 2 O'Hara Waltham dials that I am fond of but it is comparing apples and oranges. I don't know why but those radial dials seem perfect.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009

posted
The movement to go with the dial