• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas Private label from Lorain-Elyria Ohio "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This is another one that I picked up lately, it is a 15j 18s open face, lever set Seth Thomas. It is a matching private label, dial and movement both marked and from the serial number was made in the mid-late 1880's. I had Eric check it out for me online since he is more of an Rockford expert since I did not have a clue as to what model it was.

It needs a cleaning and I think the mainspring is broke or unhooked and the escape wheel jewel is clear rather than red/pink so I will get that corrected during servicing.

Tom also checked out the history of it on another post, it finally arrived and I was away in Michigan on a business trip so I thought I would post pictures

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
Dial

posted
Front

posted
Case back

posted
Movement

posted
That's a Model 3 Seth, Claude, not a Rockford.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
I had it correct in the first post (Seth Thomas), not sure what I had Rockford on the mind!!!

It is much better than the auction pictures showed it to be. And your suspicions about the jewel on the escape wheel were correct, it is a cheap clear replacement that does not match the others. It might be a replacement case but it is original to the movement because there are no other screw markings.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Claude, jewel color has little to do with value in the less gaudy late 19th century US-made jeweled movements. If the fitment is good it is likely a good jewel. A great majority of the early American crafted watch jewels were made from clear stone material including Agate and some Quartz-based stuff that was clear. Being a clear jewel means that it could well be original to this watch. Replacement jewels that were used (later) to repair watches were very often synthetics that were dyed RED to look "better".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I looked on Ebay for some other model 3 Seths and some had the clear jewel on the escape wheel so if it is not cracked I will take your advice and leave it in. I will sometimes collect private labels grades from parts of Ohio if I can find them, I have the Rockford from Amherst, this Seth if from Elyria with Lorain as a tag on.