Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mainspring Heartbreakers "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
It's happened again to me. I acquire a beautiful watch in great condition, except that it needs a mainspring, and there simply are no mainsprings available.

This time the watch is a lovely two-tone Touchon & Co. Gubelin PL. My watchmaker tells me that replacement mainsprings for it are unavailable. It needs a 0.58mm x 0.19 x about 18" (or Dension 0000 x 4 x 18").

I cannot bear to own disabled watches. So I end up selling these mainspringless watches, usually at a bad loss.

In this case, I would be able to scrap this 18k watch for about what I paid for it, but I cannot bear to do that to such a lovely thing.

Isn't there some source for the mainspring I need? Isn't there someone who can custom make mainsprings?

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Back

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Movement

posted
Hey Ethan,
I am far from an expert,but I believe that a mainspring can be matched up with one for a different brand of watch. Most people,myself included that work on watches have a store of unmarked mainsprings,and when I get an unusual watch that needs a mainspring,I can usually find a spring in my stash that will work. You just have to find someone that will take the old one out and match it up,rather than just look it up in a book and declare it "not available". There are other watches I'm sure that use that same size and strength spring,and the ends can most of the time be modified to fit.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Ethan; I have probably thousands of mainsprings it would help to know if it is a cross brand spring , if there are other makes that take the same one, ,I will look to see if i have what you need later today and get back to you, regards,Tom

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I think that most of these swiss Mains have the "flipped end" connecting to the barrel, so all we really neeed (usually) is the old spring.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I tried to help Ethan find the spring before telling him it likely would be impossible to find one and impractical to fabricate one. Unfortunately, the spring Ethan needs is not like any other you will normally see. If you check your collection you will find the smallest likely is 0.7mm and will only be 8” or so long, What Ethan needs is a 0.6mm spring of normal PW strength and length a very uncommon size. Even in the days when the watch was made, it would be a special order no doubt.

A spring of this size is about the thickness of a average sewing needle with same size eye/hole. Even if you ground down a larger spring, the hole end would have to be remade (being made in ratio for the larger spring) and perfect to hold up if it broke. The watch might not have a safety pinion, in which case a mainspring failure could total the watch for all intense purposes.

In addition, grinding down a beefier spring to the right dimensions would be a difficult task. If you think of the hours involved to get a close match, experiment with grinding or turning down, and having holes drilled/lasered, all without affecting the temper, the cost would be a considerable part of the watch if not exceed the value. I have a couple of suppliers in Europe to ask but hold out little hope.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Could it be rolled out from steel wire?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
This, of course, is stating the obvious....

Let us all keep our eyes open for a parts watch...! Wink

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Thanks, all.