• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois 163 IE "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've previously described the Illinois Bunn Special 163 IE that I bought at the LA Regional this weekend in a post in the "Pitfalls" forum.

Here's the watch with some so-so photos that I managed to take late this morning. The watch is SN 5421340.

The case is a marked BS 206 in White Gold filled although some of the photos make it look gold.

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
posted
Bezel Off... the dial is without hairlines and some minute chips at the edge. Minute hand has a bit of rust.

posted
Case back. There is no brassing visible at all from this angle.

posted
Stem detail. This shot shows some brassing under the bow and where the bow contacts the case shoulders.

posted
Inside of back-case. The service marks are irrelevant because this is definitely a re-case (see movment photos for extra case-screw marks).

posted
First Movement view... showing extra case-screw marks and some staining on the rachet-wheel. The red inletting is good but it can be refreshed. I'm virtually certain that the rachet wheel is numbered so I'm probably stuck with it.

posted
2nd Movement view. I know we're hyper-crtical of our watches so I hope that I am not giving the wrong impression by pointing out the flaws. Overall, I think this is a nice movement in a very respectable case and a superb dial.

Just like being an auction winner.... you start to wonder why everyone else stopped bidding but you didn't. Likewise, I'm wondering about all the folks at the Regional who passed this watch and didn't buy it! Razz Confused

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
I think it's a very nice watch Peter and I for one would also have considered the purchase. You were there Smile and I was not however Frown .

Nice find!

Ron

Posts: 388 | Location: Wheaton, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: December 20, 2004
posted
The rachet wheel does NOT have a serial number, however the smaller cap over it where the 3 screws are, does and it is hand scratched in at the factory and should match , so you are not stuck with the wheel but it is hard to find a perfect one from another watch without downgrading the value of that watch as well. But on this high grade of a watch, there may be some opportunity in the future if you exercise patience.

You were wondering why no one else bought this watch, and that depends on the price that was asked, this watch in present set up and condition is worth around 3500, give or take, at present market to serious buyers. I am not interested in it, only telling you of the present value in my opinion based on what I have seen from collectors lately . Of course one would want to be in it for less if wanting to resell. What did you pay for it, if I may ask? Looks like a straight watch and is a good one to have. Good find and I would hope to find a couple of these at the mid winter this week in Daytona, but am more interested in the type IIE's of which I have 8. Happy Hunting!

posted
I'd rather not publish my purchase price, Mike. But, I'll let you know.

posted
i could say what it sold for but will respect peters wishes. two seconds late, charlie winters

Posts: 209 | Location: Northern Arkansas in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
All I want to say is that if Pete considers these his 'so-so photographs', his GOOD stuff must be off the charts! Eek Smile

High regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Were you there, Charlie?

Do you know about the..... others? Smile

posted
Peter, This may be outdated information but a couple years ago I purchased a couple NOS factory wheels from the S. LaRose company. May be worth checking out. Keith

Posts: 198 | Location: Vermilion, Ohio in the USA | Registered: May 14, 2003
posted
I will do exactly that, Keith.... as soon as I get it "down south" for cleaning and service (who knows, I might need other parts). I will also try Twin-Cities. They were once able to supply me with a complete pallet for a 161A, which saved me the trouble of trying to replace just the pivot.

posted
hi peter, yes, i was sitting next to glenn when you purchased the watch. charlie

Posts: 209 | Location: Northern Arkansas in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
posted
Ok, I remember.... between Glen and Stuart, right?

I had been sick all week and left soon afterward... not attending the mart at all on Saturday. How'd Glen do after I left?

(Don't tell the folks here that I have a ponytail!) Big Grin

posted
hi peter, yes that was me between the two and don't mention i have one too!!!, charlie