Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question on a CPR 24 Hour Dial?? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
I have this 24 Hour CPR dial that came on a 1949 992B and it is in a Mainliner Style Canadian case.

My question is, I wanted to put TZ hands on it, but they are Blue. How old a movement can this dial go on?

Thank You,

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Hi Larry,

I know this will not answer your question but someone a lot more knowledgeable I am sure will answer shortly.

Is you dial porcelain? If so I can not find it in Richard Romero's list of dials.It looks like it to me. If it is a melamine dial it looks like #525 and Richard said they came out in 1948 and were completely phased in by 1950.

This did not answer your question and you had probably already knew this info but I though I would mention it just in case.

Take care.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Harry,

I should have made it clear that it is Porcelain.

I also noticed that this one doesn't have the 6 on it.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Larry,

Here is a link to John Flahive III's post on 24 hour dials. John has built up quite a collection. https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...54108073/m/854108571

IHC Life Member
posted
I have seen that and it is very nice.

Still doesn't answer my question though, about how old a movement that dial can go on.

I noticed that he has one with the blue hour hand with the black minute and second hand.

I thought that the 1949 992B's had gone to all black hands and didn't want to make a mistake, but I think I'm just going with it.

Thanks Harry.

Regards,
Larry

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Are you convinced that this porcelain DSD "CPR" 24hr dial would have been correct on a Hamilton 992B watch Confused

Wouldn't this dial be at home and correct on a Hamilton 992 prior to the 992B's Confused

What do others think Smile

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
My understanding about the black versus blue hands (and this may be totally wrong) is that after Hamilton switched from blue hands to black that Hamilton still had boxes of blue hands that would pop up out of inventory from time to time especially at the beginning of the transition and Hamilton would use which ever they had available until the blued hands were all used.

I know John's link did not address that and I don't know how much in depth John researched the 24 hour dials or even if he researched the hands at all. I just though it would be worth contacting him to see if he knew anything about it or maybe he could give you some insight on where to go next.

Buster is one of our guru's of watch information as far as I know. I have never seen him wrong so I think he may be right. Maybe a few of our other Hamilton experts will read this and post.

Go luck Larry. Either way you go can always be easily changed down the road if new information becomes available.

IHC Life Member
posted
It all sounds good except that I am in the process of putting it on eBay tonight! Frown

Regards,
Larry

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Hi Larry,

Not sure if this helps or not, but I have the same dial on a Hamilton 992B from 1944-45 (C96739) in a Model 2 BOC case from 1927 (0390294). It has blue hands with a second hour hand in red. I'm sure it is not an original combination since I can find another set of case screw marks for a 992 on the case.

I have several military Hamiltons from WWII era that have the block Hamilton signature which I know are original combinations. I also have a 992 from 1925 that has a similar 24 hr block signature dial but with marginal minutes and arabic numbers.

So my rough estimate for appropriate dates this type of dial would be early 20s to late 40s.

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Thank you John, that helps a lot! Smile

Regards,
Larry

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Since this dial is a porcelain "525", Richard may want to add it to his thread for the Porcelain Enamel dials for the 992B;

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...4108073/m/1743914067

Presently only 6 dials are mentioned for the 992B's in porcelain enamel and the 525 CPR isn't one of them.

The 525 dials were made in porcelain and melamine. The melamine ones were available for the 992B, and it stands to reason that the porcelain ones would have been available up until the time melamine was ushered in.

Blued hands would have been used on the 992B thru the late 1940's.

Just checking to see who's on their toes is a good exercise for the membership Smile

I told Larry earlier this would be a good thread to post, and that was my reason Big Grin

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Buster,

In the descriptions posted April 04, 2011 00:46 under type the 525 is listed as P or M. There has been some confusion as the pictures in the posts below do not show both dials. I have now added a post that shows both the Porcelain-Enamel and the Melamine version.

Larry,

I used your picture above for the new post.

992B Dials in Porcelain-Enamel and Melamine 525, 090, 082...

If you or anyone else has a picture of a Porcelain-Enamel 082 not installed please send it to me and I’ll put it in the post linked above in place of the dial with hands on it.

Thanks guys,

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Thank you Richard.

I believe I have that 082 dial, but I'm just not sure where right now as I'm getting ready for a move. If I get a chance I'll look for it.

Thank you for all your research on these Hamilton dials. The information is priceless!

How can anyone not want to pay the $12.00 to be a member of IHC185! Smile

Regards,
Larry

Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Larry,

I found a picture of the dial.

Best wishes for a smooth move,

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010