Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Railway Special dial in trouble "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I was looking through my collection and one of the better dials I have has started to curl in the center sunk portion. It is coming up almost like a punch out. The back of the dial is flat black. I have it stored in a closet, away from vents, in a box so I am not sure what happened. I am guessing this is melamine as it does not look like paint flaking of, and I know it is not porcelain. Any suggestions from the group on what my options are? I am wondering if International Dial can do anything (shot them a note right before this), but also not sure if there is anything I can do to limit what is happening.

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
This sort of "peeling" of the center section is fairly common on deteriorated melamine dials. It looks like the melamine material is shrinking and has started pulling away from the backing.

You could force it back down by compressing it in a vise, but that would probably just make it crack.

Bottom line, I don't think there's much of anything you can do about it Dan. It doesn't look too bad . . . I'd just use it as is.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Thanks. the problem I ran into is it is actually high enough to push on the hour hand Frown

I received a note from International Dials and they said they would strip all of the old stuff off and repaint it. Needless to say, I am just gonna keep it in a plastic box and keep it as is. Thanks for the reply Ed!
Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011