Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton "Alpina Union Horologere"? Holts Special "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Saw a "Holt's Special by Alpine Union Horologere" on eBay. I was fool enough to bid it cause I "dint beleav ma eers" when I read that title.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Nice enuf case and dial . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
But the super-clean Hamilton 4 foot 974P movement sure does not look "Swiss" (the dirt residue around the jewels says mebbe he cleaned it in wifey's ultrasonic ?!?)

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
So after cleaning out the rubber cemented on clipped foot Swiss dial, I installed a "spare" 4 foot Hamilton Dial restored by International Dial. Looks a little better. Now it is due for a cleaning. (I know the restored is a little less than "Boy Scout Approved" Hamilton art, but it is far better than "Alpina")

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
The dial that you put on your watch does not look to bad. Not original but it is useable. Hats off to you.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Member 1508
posted
Great find David! Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Tom Browns* efforts have unearthed two "Holt" RR inspectors;
John Holt, Eau Claire, WI c.a. 1914 CStPM&O (Chicago, St Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha RR)
Mark E. Holt, Petersburg, VA c.a. 1965, N&W (Norfolk & Western)

There was an 1898 Atcheson, Topeka & Santa Fe Watch Inspector "F.C. Holt" based in Trinidad, Colorado

As the watch is a 1910 vintage that I guess was a Hamilton Salesman's "get in the door" sample, I woiuld bet on the Eau Claire Holt as the guy who got this originally. The rest of it's history is open to the imagination.

*Tom do you need help to assemble an "on line" RR Watch Inspector's compendium?

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Dave, Nice watch and I seem to remember a 16s Holts Special I had that was purchased from an older fellow in Wisconsin so I would bet on Wisconsin as the origin. I like liquid nails better than rubber cement for attaching dials.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
David-

I would agree with richard on this one that Wisconsin is the likely location. Somewhere in my parent's house is a holt special hamilton, but not sure where to look as my father and I both recognize the name, but don't remember if we have a complete watch, a dial, or a movement sitting someplace... We are in western iowa, so wisonsin is most likely correct with the main RR lines between Omaha and Chicago coming thru our town. If we happen to run across it and know anything different, we will let you know.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Member 665
posted
Frank Holt & Co, Newark

Posts: 209 | Location: East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia | Registered: December 31, 2005