Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dial Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of David Johnson
posted
The lack of a sunken seconds bit made me suspicious of this dial at first until I removed the bezel and had a closer look. It seems like I have seen dials like this before but wanted to make sure it was legit and not a replacement. Hopefully someone can identify it without the need to pull the dial. It currently faces an Elgin 16 size convertible, circa 1881.

What do you think?

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of David Johnson
posted
There are VERY minute flakes present around the center hole for the seconds bit.

Picture of David Johnson
posted
The numbers do look hand painted. Is this porcelain, enamel, or what?

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

David,

The Elgin Convertible in my collection has a double-sunk dial so that's no help. However I had better luck when checking two other Elgins from the 1880 time frame. I found they both had single-sunk dials. Looking closely, the same rather careless lack of attention as on your dial was apparent on both of them. Looks like Elgin wasn't as careful with quality control as we might have previously believed!

Everything else about your dial including the signature looks as it should. The edge looks right. If it's an original porcelain-enamel dial you will not be able to make an impression on it with a sharp object. The overlays and redone dials are usually soft on the surface and of course can be scratched or peeled off as well.

Those easy tests might help reassure you. "If in doubt, check it out" ...will never fail. One final piece of advice, unless you are familiar as to how that dial is held on you do not want to try pulling it.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I have two genuine Elgin un-sunk dials like yours that I believe came from gilt convertible models. The seconds numbers are uneven and clearly hand-done. I would say that yours is right.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of David Johnson
posted
Thanks Gents! The more I look it over, I tend to agree it is probably right. When I first opened the front cover, the lack of any dial sink caught my eye immediately. Then when I had a chance to pop the bezel, things started looking better. Especially the very fine flakes on the center hole conducive of porcelain. The above images, of course are greatly magnified. Obviously the numbers looks much crisper when viewed with the naked eye.

posted
I owned the Grade 72 and 91 21 Jewel Convertibles. Both of those came with snap on double sunk dials. But the movements were drilled for dial feet too.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003