Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Military Style Elgin B.W. Raymond "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I'm sharing pictures of a very interesting Elgin B.W. Raymond that I recently acquired. It is a sweep second dial and the case appears to be the original Elgin Base Metal Military Style Case. I've had a number of Elgin Military Watchesbut this is the first one I've had that's marked B.W. Raymond 21 Jewels 6 Positions with 24 Hour Dial that's also winding indicator. I asked Dave Abbe's Opinion and we both believe this is a 22 Jewel Winding Indicator B.W. Raymond and apparently one of the 4 star Elgin Military Style Watches listed in the Shugart. Serial number indicates a production date of 1933 but I don't know when the watch was actually sold. Hands and dial appear original. Any Information you have about this piece would be much appreciated!

Deacon

Front

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Back

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Dial

Deacon

IHC Life Member
posted
Movement

Deacon

IHC Life Member
posted
Cover

Deacon

IHC Life Member
posted
Misc

Deacon

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Deacon,

There you have a fine watch! Elgin sure made some great high grade timekeeping instruments.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
Very nice find indeed

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I remember reading a discussion about this watch explaining the US Govt. made a deal with Elgin to supply a limited number of these as "civilian" navigation watches to Pan American Clipper crews in case they needed to naviagte flights that were "blacked out" in Radio Silence.

In checking the production date, it seems that this watch was finished by modifying existing Factory Stocks (as was always the case with Elgin W.I. movments!) from 1933 assigned Serial Numbers. There is no doubt these issues were still available in the 1939-41 period for refit as W.I. GCT 24 Hour Nav watches and supplied to Pan American.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Deacon, you have found one of the rare ones my friend....as you so accurately indicated, it is the 22j wind indicator piece listed on page 187 of the price guide....4 stars....

Congratulations,

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008