Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Correct Hands? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Can anyone tell me what would be the correct hands for this Bunn Special? They LOOK like Sangamo Special hands to me, but I'm not the expert on these. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
The movement.

Thank you for any help.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted
Lawrence,I am far from a expert on these,but I have seen others with the Sangamo type hands.The Bunn's & Bunn Specials I have all have the Illinois purple or blue hands.
Maybe Steve will see this and come to the rescue.
Roger

Posts: 4094 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Roger. I was thinking after I posted this that where it was so soon after Hamilton bought them out that they might have still been using the purple hands Illinois used, as I'm sure there was still some inventory left over.

Regards.
Larry

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
If you use IHC's "Find-or-Search" [which is
at the top of every page in dark blue and left click on the small magnifying glass a drop down tab allows you to search for what you want], just enter what you are looking to help you and get a lot of pretty good answers such as;

I put in "Illinois Plum Hands" and read a few posted links to get the answer to the question;

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...731060181#3731060181

Ever question that anyone has asked on IHC in the past is stored in the "Find-or-Search" feature and it's there to help you get the answers you need. Keep plugging away and sooner than expected you will find the answers to help with about anything horological and more.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Larry,

That type of hand is referred to as the “Kite” style. Doing a search brings up a post which confirms that hand style has been used on Bunn Specials and they have been observed on watches similar to yours. Sangamo Hands on 23j 60Hr. Bunn Spcial : 1932

That’s a nice looking watch and if the case numbers correspond to the movement numbers it is a correct combination. The case information can be found here: Bunn Specials, Marked Factory Wadsworth Cases Database

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Larry,

Your watch looks absolutely correct and I wouldn't change a thing.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Thank you everyone for your answers, it is much appreciated. Smile

I guess if we learn how to use the search engine at the top of the page, we won't have to ask anymore questions, or communicate anymore here. Smile

Regards,
Larry

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Communication and questions are always good Larry !! There are a lot of "new" folks here that don't know about the IHC search feature so I thought it would be a good opening to show them how to use it.

Thanks for the questions always !!

regards,
bb

IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Buster.

I hope you took it the way it was intended. :A JOKE!! Smile

Regards,
Larry

IHC Life Member
posted
Richard, I looked at the "Bunn Specials, Marked Factory Wadsworth Cases Database" that you put in your post. Mine is not there but is very close to #5276310, and the case #8491164. Mine is #5276595 and the case number is #8462418.

NOW, here is another question that I cannot seem to find the answer to. All of the Type III 60 Hour Bunn Specials I see, including in the Blue book, have "ILLINOIS WATCH CO." on the train bridge, but mine only says "ILLINOIS WATCH" and not the CO. on the train bridge. Does that mean anything with this movement?

Thank you again for any help.

Regards,
Larry

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
That is a variant exclusive on IHC.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...1029912/m/5301099323

Type III marked with "Illinois Watch Co." signature are designated as the "Type III A"

Type III marked with "Illinois Watch" signature are designated as the "Type III B".

When Hamilton took over, they dropped the "Co.".

This is a "variant" that IHC has named since Megger's didn't make mention of the variants.

regards,
bb

IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks again Buster. I knew I had read something about it, but just couldn't find it, or make this old brain remember!!

Regards,
Larry