Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Abbot's Conversion "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
I have read about these conversions to stem wind and have seen discussions on the message boards but I have no idea what to look for to identify an Abbot's Conversion. The pic is from an eBay auction claiming this B.W. Raymond has this conversion. Help!

Jack

Posts: 208 | Location: Elgin, Illinois USA | Registered: November 30, 2002
Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Confused Me, too - Jack !! Thanks for asking...I'd bet that we're not the only ones out there who would appreciate the insight. Smile

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern Virginia in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 10, 2004
posted
from my understanding, most examples require disassembly to determine if the conversion exists.

the quality of the installation varied because of the skills of the watchmaker.

If you have searched the nawcc boards for this subject,
you will find the conversion is both blessed and abhored....... all a matter of opinion.

Picture of Jack Davis
posted
Terry,

I have read all of the posts regarding the opinions of collectors whether the conversion is a travesty or an interesting variation in horological history and I have no interest in stirring that pot. Smile

I was hoping there was a visual clue one could look for without disassembling the watch. Oh well.

Jack

Posts: 208 | Location: Elgin, Illinois USA | Registered: November 30, 2002
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
The Abbot's lever is a short straight lever that moves down away from the stem for setting. It is very similar in appearance to the first lever set Rockfords.

You can also sometimes see the screw in the backplate that holds part of the mechanism between the plates.

Here are some pictures of a watch with the feature.

Click on either picture to make it larger.

This watch also illustrates the controversy. When Abbot's conversion is applied to the earlier models of the KW16 and KW20 it is necessary to remove the Stratton's patent mechanism and much of the value of the watch. On this particular watch that is not the case.

The screw at the 2:30 position in the picture is part of the Abbot's mechanism.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Also check out Sghurgarts #24 page 104 for a picture of under dial and how the lever appears..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002