• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Basic Vs Flashy - your thoughts "Click" to Login or Register 

posted
Last night I took two (2) movements down to clean and get them running back on par.

This morning when putting them back together and looking at them, I was torn. It was like both ends of the spectrum. The big thumping 21j 18s Bunn and the plain jane 18s 7j production # 11593. You have all flash on one hand and simplicity on the other. Hmmmm....

I like them both, but the Aurora - being so simple and basic still has the edge IMHO.

Whacha think?

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011

posted
IL

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
In the Original Hunter case, the Aurora would probably be worth more too!

You might note the the same Balance cock outline on both watches. Inspired by Aurora "GHOST" tooling bought by Hamilton when they re-arranged the bones of Lancaster W. Co. to make Hamilton Watches! Cool

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I suppose basically both watches do the same job and they can keep time equally well, but I think the Bunn Special will hold its value better over time. I have to go with "flashy". Maybe this is where collectability, workmanship, availability of parts?, and resalability come in.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009

posted
The Aurora is in a 3 oz Coin silver 3 hinge case. I only see one set of screw marks. Would someone have ordered a Hunter Movement in a "sidewinder" type setup?

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
It could have been bought as a new OF replacement case when the original hunter case wore out.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004

posted
Stamp mark on case

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Jon I think you have a beautiful Aurora and what I like about your 7 jewel movement is the cool way Aurora put that on the movement. They must have been proud to say 7 jewels! While most collectors appreciate the higher jeweled and flashy movements I really like seeing a plain Jane in excellent condition and with all it's screws and settings in great shape. I have a G M Wheeler on E bay that has nice plates and fire blued screws and a 4 oz coin case. It probably will not bring the price of a so so Bunn.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009

posted
Thanks - Richard...

I was thinking the same thing about the 7 Jewel stamp on the movement. I love it!

V/r

Jon