• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bunn Special Case "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
At a recent watch show I was shown a 163A in a model 29 case. The owner gave me a lecture about how the model 29 case was the premier case and that collectors were always looking for it. I never heard anything like that before. What do you guys think about that?

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I would agree that with a 163A in the case it WAS worth more to a (well heeled) collector!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I agree that any watch in the era correct case most seen is easier to accept by the majority of collectors. But there is nothing written in stone concerning Illinois cases used on the Bunn Specials. I would match up the year of the movement to the years the cases were in production and taken out of production. The Bunn Special cases went something like this;

BUNN SPECIAL CASES

First Model (Wadsworth) 1924-1932
28 Model (Keystone) 1928-1932
29 Model (Wadsworth) 1929-1932
107 Model (Keystone) 1932- ?
108 Model (Wadsworth) 1931- ?
118 Model (Star) 1935- ?
128 Model (Keystone) 1936- ?
173 Model (Keystone) 1930- ?
181 Model ( Fahy's ) 1929-1932
206 Model (Keystone) 1930-1932

That said the movements would need to be matched up with the production year[s] of the case[s].

If we are only talking about the 163A movements, they were made in 1931 and 1932 so basically we could find them in about any of the Bunn Special cases above. But most that we see or I have seen personally have been in cases 28/29/107/118 with very few in model 29 cases.

But to say the Model #29 was the "premier" case, I would strongly disagree. There are several cases that stand out from the rather basic and plain looks of the Model 29 cases and would appeal to different folks for different reasons.

In 1928 the Model 1's were the dominate case seen on Bunn Specials.
In 1929 the Model 29's were the dominate case seen on Bunn Specials.
In 1930 the Model 29 and Model 108 were equally seen on Bunn Specials.
In 1931 the Model 108's dominated over the Model 29's by 80-85% on Bunn specials.
In 1932 the Model 29's and Model 108's both shared 50% of the Bunn Specials seen.

I think the vendor misused the word "premier" and perhaps should have noted that the Model 29 was a bit more dominantly seen over the other cases if one "lumps" all of the years, cases, and Bunn Specials factory cased together, maybe, but very speculative on the vendors part as the Model 1 is probably the most commonly seen of the Illinois Bunn Special cases. Truth known the seller was possibly hawking his wares that were predominately in model 29 cases, but only a guess !!

Everyone everywhere is always on the look out for any of the Illinois cases, but especially ones not wearing a ring of brass on the back cover as that was their weakness. They used too thin a layer of gold on the back cover and the stamping where the case sloped off was way too thin to withstand much wear over the years, but for the most part they did live up to their 20-25 year guarantee[s].

Interesting......

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Great information!

Thank you Buster! Smile

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1736
posted
Thank you Buster

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
posted
Knowledge within this club is something. I have only one Bunn Special/#1483261 in 1880 era. This movement is in a marked Original No.1/FAHYS Ore Silver Pat. Apr 22/1879 Case #168919. I would appreciate some additional comments from members or especially Buster. Thanks.

Posts: 96 | Location: Waynesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 14, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Hi Sam,

Let me try and help. Your movement is a 21J Bunn Special Model 6, single roller, that was made in 1899. They had black filled lettering and usually came with a DSD of porcelain and yours may have a Roman Numeral dial or a Arabic Gothic style dial marked "Illinois Watch Co." on the face. There were several different damaskeening patterns/effects on these including circular, gold inlaid circle, bright spotted, narrow stripes, and perhaps more if they were a "private label" with special ordered damaskeening pattern[s].

In those days movements were cased by independent jewelers and sometimes catering to the buyers specifications. There weren't any "factory cases" made yet. So yours with a Fahy's No.1 Oresilver case sounds period correct. The patent date on your case was a quite common marking on those particular cases. We have no data base[s] listing Fahy's cases serial numbers that I am aware of.

Bring us some pictures of your fine watch and we can then oogle & ahh it and enjoy it with you !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Buster and all: Enter the movement #. Already there with pictures which will show the dial with a chip near 6. Have not tried to find another dial since this posting. Thank you Buster for your kindness to all us with less knowledge. Very impressed! Thanks.

Posts: 96 | Location: Waynesville, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: April 14, 2011