• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Heavy Silver Case & Chain "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Having been a member of CH185 for a few months now, I have not seen much discussion about large silver pocket watch cases and/or chains. So here's my effort to start a discussion thread on this topic.

To kick it off, I am posting several photos of a watch I purchased about 10 years ago. It is an 18S, 11J, KWKS Rockford #73508 that I am reasonably certain did not originate in this interesting case.

The case is a huge 6 oz. Deuber Coin hunter, with gold hinges and a unique bow. Here is the case.

Posts: 106 | Location: Highland, Kansas in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2006
posted
The movement

Posts: 106 | Location: Highland, Kansas in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2006
posted
Case with 4 oz+, Deuber hallmarked chain & fob

posted
I would appreciate member's thoughts about this case & chain, as well as heavy silver cases & chains, in general. How plentiful/rare/collectible are these pieces and what is their value?

Ted

posted
Sorry, the pics are not the greatest. The Deuber case serial # is 381938. Can anyone date the case?

Thanks.

Ted

posted
I like big silver watches too. The topics do ebb and flow so, if you are into one specific thing,
the contributions may seem to come at a snails pace. You did right to kick up some dust.

That said, there isn't much I noticed about your watch except for one thing. I've never before seen a bow with the "fenders" to keep the chain in proper position. I wonder if these were ever patented?

The extra screw mark at the edge of the balance cock is the clue the case has "been around" and the chain looks like a more recent construction. I don't think that style of swivel
clip(where the chain joins the watch) was used on an American chain. And boy! I could be wrong about everything I've said in this paragraph.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I bought several large silver chains and sold a couple but kept this one, it weighs 8.5ounces and as you can see the links are tapered from widest to smallest typical of English chains. The widest link of the chain measures at 20mm. The total length of the chain is just under 15 inches. Each link is hallmarked with a Lion, one paw raised, facing left which denotes 92.5 pure silver.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
Geez! I've seen anchor chains flimsier than that, Bob.

I have seen one other case with chain "fenders" on the bow, Cort. As I recall, it was an open face Howard L Size 18K case housing a very interesting and rare stemwind/keywind transitional nickel L size movement with fully functional key and stem winding and setting. The movement was the last of the only run of 30 such transitional movements, S# 56,330 if my memory serves me correctly, and one of only 3 complete surviving examples known. The HC-to-OF conversion dial was also unique. I believe the case was by the Brooklyn Watch Case Co., and it appeared to be original.

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Yes, Clint is right, here is a picture of the watch.

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Nice watch Harold. Though sort lived, the fenders must have been the evolutionary quirk that anticipated the Ball stirrup bow. Great to see another example.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
here is a nice sterling silver chain i have owned this one twice,,i priced this 3 years ago and sold it ,i was sick of my deal as soon as the buyer paid me,,after 3 years trying i finnaly got it back..

This one is 15 inches long and 7 chains wide with a ememal slide that is 1-1/2 inches long by 7/8 inches wide.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
the enamel slide is very fancy with emamel on both sides .

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
here,s another sterling chain i like. i have owned this one for several years ,

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
WOW!!! Eek

I NEVER find neat chains like that when I'm out prowling the shops.

VERY nice chains, Sammie!

High regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
NOW THATS A CHOO CHOO " CHAIN "

Posts: 109 | Location: Brookpark, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 06, 2005
posted
Six ounce cases used to be not rare. Today they are hard to find. My friend Gene Fuller owned one that was 12 ounce coin silver case. It was almost funny to see him bring that case out. I owned a 6 ounce open face case once. Those are beefier than the hunting cases, as they have no lids to add weight.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003