Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

How Rare Is It ? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
This dial is reported to be considered rare. Does anyone else recall having seen one like it before?

18s 21j Veritas - ca. 1899

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern Virginia in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 10, 2004
Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Lever set with off-set hinge at 7

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern Virginia in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 10, 2004
Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Movement

posted
I saw this one. I wouldnt call the watch rare but the dial is definately interesting. I like the Roman combo with the Marginal minute feature. Very cool.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Jim,
Did you buy this one?
Really nice watch.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Had to put on my shades!

That's the only dial I recall having seen just like that, it sure puts on a show. Interesting and really unusual... I like it.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Wink Thanks, Aaron & Lindell.

Yes, but only very recently.

Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Jim,

These dials are definately scarce. A small group including 12, 16 and 18 size examples were found a number of years ago by Roy Ehrhardt. Over the past few years, Roy has slowly sold the remaining examples from his initial find. I believe the one you pictured is most likely from this group.

Rhett

Rhett Lucke

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
This Howard (Keystone) dial is similar, but not quite as heavy on the I-XII and the hour and marginal numbers are radial.

How24hr_sm

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Jerry,

Neat dial.

Rhett Lucke

Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Smile Thanks for your info, Rhett - just the type of info that I was looking for & hoping to learn. Wink any ideas on how and/or where he might have found them ?

Cool Thanks, Jerry . . . I, too, really like those radial/marginal combos - Wink

P.S. - - Oh, btw, I just purchased a Howard No. 5 at the Mid-Eastern with a very similar dial to yours, Jerry - except in all arabic numerals.

Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
Jim,

I cant remember where Roy said these dials were found. If interested, you could always contact either Roy or Larry.

Rhett

Rhett Lucke

Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Wink Thanks, Rhett - Roger, Wilco !

Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Just spoke with Roy Ehrhardt who advised that he was familiar with the dial and watch. It was a very short chat as he was not feeling very well, but was happy to talk. He said that he purchased a package of 10 - NOS - 18s from LaRose - "new, never on a watch". As far as he knows the only 10 known to exist. He knows of only one in 16s (See Railroaders' Corner, Aug '99).

Guess the dial qualifies as rare - huh ?