Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Road Show: E. Howard - wow but.... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
saw this on the road show tonight...

box hinge, 14k watch and chain

guy said it was worth 15,000

not one look at the movement or dial or mention if it ran but my oh my what a case

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
it is my tv, best I could do.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
have to believe the chain was 30-40g alone, it is thick. Tricolor gold on the case.

Picture of Donald Hawes
posted
Wow! Thanks for sharing Andy.

Posts: 345 | Location: Racine, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2010
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I saw that last night too. Even my wife said 'why didn't they open the back and look at the movement?"
They said the links and fob were made of quartz, or at least that's what I understood them to say. They also said it was a dedication piece. Lots of info given, but very little shown. They never even touched the watch. Odd.
Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
My same thoughts Mark I would've liked to have seen the dial and Howard movement the real eye candy, some of these appraisers doing jewelry and pocket watches are very shortsighted, I watched a few years ago when another appraiser from New York was looking at a wooden glass display case of four movements the case had been engraved metal plate with the name C. DeLong these were large, oversized one-of-a-kind escapement models made by the famous watchmaker Charles DeLong, who set up the Southwest Horological Institute the models were for the students. The jewelry appraiser gave the woman the value of between $1200 and $1500. The horological community advised them of their error and they did a retraction on a later show mentioning the real value of these rare models.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
The show is fun to watch but it lost a bit of it's credibility with that one. No gold weight, no nothing, just the case. Who knows, maybe it was worth more but what a sad appraisal.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I am sure it happens all the time on the show on other stuff also, we or some of us are just knowledgeable on the watches, thus the reason we can comment on this particular episode. I have only watched the show a few times and take their opinions as far as value lightly.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Larry, I remember that segment on the Delong pieces as well, and commented to my wife 'THAT'S not right!' Eek

Some of their watch/clock discussions are quite interesting, but some of them are WAY off the mark when an 'armchair collector/pocket watch carrier' like me can recognize such a glaring mistake!! Roll Eyes

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1183
posted
Several years ago the roadshow "watch expert" appraised a 16s Waltham Vanguard wind indicator in a gold filled case as being worth $5000....

Posts: 2121 | Location: St. Peters, Missouri in the USA | Registered: September 17, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I remember that too! Wasn't that the one the lady said her Dad wore all the time on a shoe string while he worked his ranch from horseback? Big Grin Well, one can always wish.... Wink

Regards! Mark

posted
I think they should be forced to buy it. that would help them see reality

posted
The Roadshow appraisals of watches aren't the only appraisals on that show that are screwy. Been that way for years with many of their appraisals. When you use dealers who might catch some business from those watching the program wanting to sell something similar....well, you understand why lowballing wouldn't suit their purposes.

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
I believe the chain may have been gold in quartz, which would have added to the value. Here's an example.

http://www.mardonjewelers.com/...-quartz-watch-chain/

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010