Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

18s Hamilton Salesman Cases "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I have two questions in this post. Going through more of my stuff I noticed I have several saleman type cases that are yellow gold colored. Were any of these made in this color or was this something someone had gold plated over the years.
Next question is was all salesman type cases marked on both bezels. I have many that are only marked on the front bezel (all Hamilton). I thought well maybe someone lost or damaged one of the bezels and just replaced it with another but trying to switch the marked ones with the unmarked ones they do not interchange, so I am puzzled.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
back and this one like the rest is unmarked on the bezel. I have silver colored and gold colored with only one bezel marked?????

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Hi Robert, I recall having an 18s Hamilton case that was gold or brass plated and I do know that Dueber Hampden made some gold or brass plated salesmans cases. On the Hampden ones they are earlier case that had hinge fitted bezels. Hampden cases are usually marked on both bezels as were Illinois to my recollection.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
The two 18s and two 16s cases I have are marked Hamilton on all 8 bezels.

All four are nickel silver, and I've never seen a gold-colored one of either size.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Robert; many years ago I was privileged to meet and do much business with, and become good friends with an eBay seller and Navy Vet from East Liverpool Ohio , the late Thurman Riggs , an American patriot,and a superb gentleman. He sold me a 10 drawer walnut crystal cabinet , and about 75 Hamilton display cases and 25 generic from the East Liverpool jewelry store which obviously had a fire at some time as much soot covered the material. Many if not most were signed both bezel, but about 25% were generic. The generic bezels interchanged with the unmarked Hamilton bezels which made me think that originally all the Hamiltons were both bezel signed, and the generics were from the same factory , which produced what were in my opinion , a far inferior product than the Walthams,Illinois and Hampdens I've had!! This would also explain the interchangeability of many of the generics with Hamilton Display cases only. There are other generic cases made like the Walthams and Illinois that the Hamilton and generic bezels would not fit==Just my opinion and observations Big Grin Not a one was gold coloured either

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
My experience with these were that both bezels were marked and usually you can switch bezels from side to side. These that I found you can't the two bezels are different sizes and only fit on the side they are on.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
yes I noticed that too. About half of the ones I got had the bezels off. I thought it would be an easy task to match them up. Couldn't have been more wrong LOL Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009