Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Can someone tell me what this case is made of? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I have this case. It is really easy to bend. The plating is coming off in a couple of spots but it does not look like brass. It looks more like copper. Do some case manufacturers plate on copper instead of brass. That would explain why it bends so easily.

The case is made by National WCCo s/n 2935 and has a 14 inside a rectangular box.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Marked

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Harry the most common material is brass. Your case is a lower quality case and probably thin brass or possibly copper alloy. You find these marked 14 or even 18 but that was and still is a misleading mark as many were sold as 14k solid gold to gullible buyers. Most makers of these types of cases used brass although I have seen what I thought was copper on a few.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Deacon. It must be copper because it does not look anything like the brass showing on the other cases. Thanks.