Tools
Reply to Post

16s Ludy and Taylor Longines "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
this showed up while I was wandering about eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...IT&item=280326651072

I threw a number at it and it came. It is a late 19th century Longines in great shape so I stuffed it in a Base Case until I can clean it up. So . . Who is Ludy and Taylor, Cedar Rapids, IA c.a. 1900?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I threw that into Google, and got this...

http://www.siebkehoyt.com/aboutus.swf

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
1930 Census Cedar Rapids Iowa

George B. Ludy Born about 1863 in Ohio, spouse Georgia, living at 1845 2nd Ave., listed as merchant jewelery business.

1930 Census Cedar Rapids Iowa

Robert P. Taylor, born 1854 Illinois, spouse Pearl M., living at 300 S. 19th St., listed as merchant, retail jewelery store.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
That might have been carried by Grant Wood, or one of his cronies. Great watch. I like that type of regulator!

Steve G.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Great buy, Dave! Lot's of history with this one. And I don't think I've seen that type of regulator before. Very unique. You ought to e-mail or write the company and let them know of your find. As a family business, they would probably want to know about their items sold at the very beginning of the business.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Good idea Mary Ann, I left them a message. Smile

The regulator told me that it had to be an early Longines or a very good copy!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Heard anything back from them yet, David?

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002