Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

B & T hunter case "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
A friend of mine who is a jeweler showed me a watch he took in on trade that he wanted to know if anyone had ever heard of the case co.

It is a hunter case, marked 'B & T. co'. and has what appears to be a crown with a cross on the top and a possible bird in the middle of the crown. We're not sure of that, but in it's worn appearance, that's how it looked to us.

It housed an 1881 15j 16s Elgin Grade 4 adjusted movement.

He was specifically interested in whether or not the case was gold or gold filled. There was no brassing what so ever, and even wear to all the high spots. The bow was very well worn, and I would not be the least big surprised if it wasn't solid gold, as there was no brass center to the wear. There is no gold content marking, nor any guarantee of service markings either indicating gold filled.

It's a fairly heavy case, but like I said, for something to be so worn, there are not brassy spots anywhere on the case at all.

Any ideas?

I'll pass along anything you can tell me. Thank you!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I'm bumping this up, as it's getting buried under the 'ending auction' announcements.

Anyone have any information at all?

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Roy Ehrhardt's trademarks book, 1976, shows a casemaker named Booz & Thomas in business in Philadelphis from 1875 to 1900. The trademark he shows is a shield with a globe in the bottom and a winged hourglass in the top. Might give you a place to start, anyway.

Joe Jones

Posts: 47 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA | Registered: April 24, 2006
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Mark, without seeing the 'Mark', I would go with GF rather than Solid Gold....

You can always weigh the case and compare that to another hunter that you know is GF....

Or have it acid tested....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Understood, and agreed. Personally I've been leaning toward goldfilled, due to the weight of the case, and the fact I detected no 'flex' in any of the doors.

I'll pass along what you've told me, and once again, THANK you all for your help in my inquiries!

HIGH regards! Mark