Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Case question; Waltham "Ruby" "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
This Waltham JS Ruby got at 14k case with a strange thing in the bottom of the case. I suppose it´s a way to keep an old kind of band to use as a wrist watch,....or? Is it an original part of the case or has it been puted there afterwords?
/Bernhard

Walth Ruby

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
From the style of the loop, my guess is that it was added afterwards to accomodate a wrist strap or ribbon. Small pendant watches did come with lower loops, to attach a bauble or a strap, but they were usually styled differently, such as this example. I do not recall seeing a single wire lug as an original part of such a case.

By the way, what brand case is yours?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
I took a pair of more detailed photos. The Brand is something I have not seen before, it is a big W with a smaller H and W inside. What is that? The sn of the case is 340988 and marked 14k 585/1000 Fine and 14k with same sn on the cuvette.
/Bernhard

Ruby eyeloop

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
If the large "W" looks like two horseshoes, it it the mark for Hayden W. Wheeler, but they were the retailer, not the case manufacturer. They generally had very good cases made for them. Wheeler is known among collectors for the Hamiliton watches that were custom-made for them, but they also sold other brands, including Howard and Waltham.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003