Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

silveroid hunting cases "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
Pardon me if this seems a stupid question...Is it just me, or are stem wind 16 and 18 size silveroid hunter cases near impossible to find?Personally, I've never seen any that weren't silver, gold, or gold filled.I have often seen keywind silveroid hunters, they seem to be common.I realize that good hunter cases of any kind are getting hard to find, it just seems like the silveroid ones are even harder to get.Thanks, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Not common but they show up here is one i just sold

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I bought a Waltham key wind, size 18 recently, mostly to get the case. It's a Keystone, silverode, hunter with hinged bezel. Case is decent, needs a crystal and cover lift spring, movement needs a balance staff, and complete overhaul. Their out there, this was an eBay pickup.

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Ted, for some time I have looked for silveroid hunters for stem winds. The 18s are more available than 16s from what I have seen and the 18s are in the "not easy" category. I have some silveroid 18s hunters and the best ones I have seen are the Dueber cases marked for Railway. Very well made and scarce but in my opinion the best. I think I have 2 16s hunters but I would rate them as very scarce. I personally like silveroid cases because they wear so well.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Deacon, I too have been on the lookout and have only seen a couple 18s silveroid hunters in the last year. I just bought a Dueber Silverine but it has spring issues.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Lorne, I think most any other Dueber 18s hunter will have the right spring for your case. I counted and I have 6 Dueber Railway hunter cases in silverine, all Railway models and I am still trying to find a 16s case marked Railway. Maybe they never made those in silverine? At any rate the advantages of a nickle silver case have long been overlooked in the quest for gold and silver cases.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Should I come across a 16s I will let you know. Are both the 16s & 18s marked just "Dueber Silverine Railway" and a serial # ?

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks guys, it seems strange to me that so few of these seem to be around today,there had to have been millions made back in the day.Look how many "sidewinders" there are, yet no proper cases to house them.I'm with Deacon, these silveroid cases are great, you couldn't wear one out if you lived to be 100!I have a 2-tone 18s Special Railway 17J hunter,I keep hoping to find one of these cases for it at an affordable price, I guess that's a pipe dream.Thanks again, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
I have a beautifully engraved silveroid Keystone Watch Case Co 16 size hunting case with French bow and containing a 17J Rockford movement. I bought it 'cuz I figured it was scarce and as Richard indicated, they wear well. This is one watch I actually carry.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Lorne any of the Dueber Railway cases will say Railway on them. Dueber Primus cases are also excellent but I have only seen those in gold filled. As far as I know all Dueber cases, even private label ones, have serial numbers. Once you have a Railway case take a close look at it and you will pretty much be able to spot them. They are very tight fitting and well made with just overall excellent workmanship.

Deacon