Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

1879 Keywind Key Set Waltham 18 Karat! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 708
posted
Hi All,
I have the opportunity to purchase from an estate an 18 Karat gold 1879 Waltham pocketwatch for $450.00. I believe this is a fair price but I don't know. I have no other information on the watch. If I purchase it I will share though.

Thanks in advance

Steve Cohen

Posts: 153 | Location: Montgomery Village, Maryland USA | Registered: March 15, 2006
posted
fair for who? The case probably has that much or more melt value for the gold.

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
IHC Member 708
posted
Fair for me I guess, Michael, I didn't know the gold was worth that much!

Steve Cohen

Posts: 153 | Location: Montgomery Village, Maryland USA | Registered: March 15, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
What size? For example, I got an 18K that is a 10 (I think) and it would be easily that value.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Beautiful thing over 100 years as a family Heirloom

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The "Proof" is in the Mark!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Fascinating Dial and hands.

IHC Member 708
posted
Beautiful pictures David, I don't know the size or the # of jewels, etc. but I think I will buy it! I'll share when and if I get it.

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 708
posted
David,

I forgot, it is engraved and it is a long time family heirloom.

Thanks Again,

Steve Cohen

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Steven,
The first question is, how do you know it's actually solid gold? You need the case marks to know for sure. Second, the size of the case will help when it comes to knowing the value of the case alone, not including the watch. The watch itself may be worth the $400.00, but can't know without the serial number and more information. Last, if the seller will tell you the information, we can tell you what the value of the watch is, and if he won't, then PASS.

Now, for the personal side of collecting, and some gold issues. (my opinion only)

I would never pay $500.00 for a size 0s, standard 7J Elgin, even in solid gold, and even when I know the value of gold is as high as it is now. HOWEVER, I have paid that much for one of my Pansy watches, size 0s, 7j, just because it was one that matched my collection, and they are all in solid gold cases, except one.
I find that sometimes we are paying for a gold case, and not the watch, that's ok, if that's what you want, but if it's the watch you are interested in, then stick to the watch, and pass on the gold case.
Last, Last, A solid gold case is a jewel, and $400.00 is a good buy today, in any size. In the future, you may love owning the case by itself, just because it would go perfect with another watch you pick up.

Get the serial number, and the case information, and let us know, then maybe we could give the best answer for you.

PS Gold is about $987.00 an ounce

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
A good example of what I mentioned.

This Waltham 14k solid gold Pansy cased watch sold on ebay for

$859.99

Sheila

Waltham0

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Member 708
posted
Thanks Sheila,
I will have the watch next tuesday night so I will post the info on wednesday morning. I will look for the marks, etc,

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 708
posted
Hi All,

I finally got the watch. It turns out it it a Waltham Vanguard 21 Jewels, lever set. Serial# 1107004. Which in Shugart dates it to about 1902. The case says B.W.C. Co. Warranteed 18k. The serial # on the case is 59070. There is another marking under the serial number that looks like a fancy E or possibbly a W. The inscription reads to L. W. Gray from Father Aug 8th 1879. I don't have any pictures yet. this watch was handed down to the person I bought it from from the original owner who was her mother's great grandfather. what I question is wether this case is original to this movement and is it gold or gold filled. I know that usually when it says warranteed it is gold filled but i checked Shugart and there are some cases in the solod gold cases where it does say warranteed and the number of karats. the watch does not run. when I wind it appears to wind but it does not start ticking. It may just need cleaning or something.

thanks in advance for the help.

Steve Cohen

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It sounds like you got an 18 size Model 1892 Waltham Vanguard, serial# series; 11070301- 11071000 which is the 21 Jewel Open face model. In decent shape that can be worth up to $425.00. I am not too sure about the case without any pictures, but if it has an 1879 "gift" engraving, that worries me a little, although such a case could have considerable separate value but is hardly "original" to the movement. I am anxiously awaiting a similar piece from the J&H auction. . . .

IHC Member 708
posted
Thanks David,

The watch maybe originally an open face model but it is in a hunter's case as I described above. I will try and post some pictures.

Steve Cohen