Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

American watch case makers "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I don't know if this has been asked before, but would anyone know if there is a list of known American pocket watch case companies?It seems like every time you think you've heard of all of them, another unknown name turns up.It seems like it would be a good resource, like the railroad inspector lists that are being buit up.I never saw Roy Ehrhardt's Trademarks book, but I'm sure he must have shown many of them. Thank you!...Ted

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ted

Another great idea!

Maybe if it hasn't been done I can start a new project.

We could try something like this.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
History of the American Watch Case by Warren Niebling?

happy hunting

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
Since Niebling's book doesn't seem to be 'on line' or in any way handy to use, I think an IHC research topic on this subject with pictures like Tom was proposing would be an excellent idea. If this project comes to fruition, I would contribute pictures. One thing.... all initials should be spelled out.
M.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
This would be a great idea. I know that some of the casemakers marks are on a few pages in the Price Guide, but even I have posted here with my questions about "who makes this case?" more than once. Also since many US movements were cased up here in Canada there is a few examples that even though they might be made by say AWCC the gold fill branding was different and so they had unique names. Anyways enough rambling. Any way I can help out just ask.

Thanks, Roland.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks guys, I think it would be another great idea also.I've heard on Neibling's book, but have never actually seen it, and whenever a copy of it shows up for sale, the price is totally ridiculous.It must be rare and long out of print.If Tom were to start one up, I imagine a lot of the members,including myself, would gladly try to help.I'm also pretty sure that there are lot makers that alot of us haven't heard of....Ted.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Tom, I tried to click on the attachment on your post, but nothing happens.What was it?Thanks! Ted.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Ted

It was a practice sample of how I thought we might do this, it was an image, I don't know what happened to it, it was there once.

Tom

IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Tom, it's probably lost in cyberspace!

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I will try to post it again later, I just started with the American Watch Case Company & then put in a few images of their case marks.

Tom

IHC Member 1110
posted
Hey Roland, I know what you mean about the Canadian cases.I imagine a lot of the "different name" ones were also made by the major case companies, both here and in Canada.I too have asked about case names on here, there doesn't seem to be much info out there.Seems like there must have been as much competition among casemakers as there was with the watch companies, probably many of the smaller ones got bought or forced out by their competition. Ted.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ted

Can you see this now?

Tom

IHC Member 1110
posted
Tom, I tried it again, that one don't work either.Maybe it's my computer, there's a red X in the corner of the box, so it probably is my machine.Thanks for trying! Ted

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
If we decide to try this, how would we want to do it?

I can make each company a page or pages image with examples of the marks & start it in a topic like I did the watch inspectors?

I was wondering if it might be less clutter if those who have case marking that I can't find email me the images so that way we have them all in one tidy spot?

For example I was searching this site for an example of the American Watch Case Company "Derby" & I found where members had posted they had cases with that marking but they didn't post photos.

So far for the American Watch Case Company Toronto I have that they had;
ACME
CASHIER
DERBY
EXPRESS
FORTUNE
FRONTIER
IMPERIAL
KING
LION
MOHAWK
N.P.
PREMIER
RAILROAD
RICHELIEU
ROYAL

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Something like this perhaps?

awcco

posted
Tom,
Does your example above mean that The American Watch Case Company Toronto made all those cases below in all capital letters - just under different names? (That's interesting in itself!). Alphabetically works for me.

Now, when someone presents a closeup of a case logo, would you re-size it if not of acceptable size, and insert it in a list right below the name of the case like you did with 'FORTUNE'?

I think it would be far less clutter to have people send logo pics to you personally and then you can re-size them as might be needed and insert them in a running list. The list could be updated by you as often as needed and you could post reminders/messages to the Forum when additions are made.

Incidently, I saw your three picture examples both times when you posted them. Ted, I think this is an issue with the mail program you use. Can you call tech support and ask them if there are settings you can make in your computer to correct the problem?

Mike

Mike

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Mike

That is my understanding about the names but that is why I thought if we could get examples of each to put with each maker. I searched the names on this site & as I mentioned several of them are described in members posts as having a case marked "Derby" for example but they didn't post an image.

I found a image of the CASHIER & edited my image above but it is not the best photo.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ehrhardt published a compendium of trademarks and stuff that included Names and trademarks of hundreds of American Watch and Watch Case makers.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1110
posted
i Dave, Thanks for showing it, that's the book I was referring to when I started this question.I have most of Roy's books, but I never got that one.There are probably even more makers than shown there.I'm sure, being a watchmaker you must have also seen a lot of lesser-known case co. marks!Thanks again, Ted.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Ehrhardts boook has about 50 pages of American watch case makers names and marks.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Fifty pages! That's much more than I would have imagined, Dave. The problem, of course, is that most of us do not have access to the book and it is no where available for viewing of which I am aware.

Does anyone know the status of the Heart of America copyright on this and other HOA books? It could be scanned and added to the IHC research data base easily enough.

posted
I have the Niebling book-it isn't that great. It's not a history of the watch case as it evolved but rather more the story of a couple of watch case companies. The Ehrhardt book is still the best quick reference IMHO.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
What I am trying to do is to search this site for all photos of watch case brand marks & then organize them by make & try to repost them in a list type format, I will see how that goes.

Tom

posted
Tom et al,

FWIW, I have one case trademark that I have never seen on another watch and none of my inquirys here or on any other board have turned up another.

Perhaps not useful as probably no one will need to look this up, but just in case here is the image.

Not sure but I think the HAYWorth, might stand for H.A. Wadsworth, the precurser to the Wadsworth Watch Case Co.

BTW its on A Ball Hamilton 936.

happy hunting,

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Bill

Is that maker H.A. Worth or is it Haworth, I can't tell from the photo.

Tom

posted
Tom,

marked HAWORTH.

I am just guessing that it was made by H.A Wadsworth.

happy huting,

posted
I think that being able to browse images of cases for a given manufacturer is valuable for those of us who want to determine the style name. For example, I have a Wadsworth wristwatch case that doesn't match exactly the few images I have found online, so I can't determine the style name. Same is true for a Keystone PW case I have. Isn't it true that knowing the movement production date doesn't necessarily indicate the case production date? I'd also like to learn more about dial and hands styles. I am new to this, so I don't even know if dials and hands are produced by the movement maker or the case maker!

Posts: 2 | Location: Pennsylvania in the United States | Registered: March 12, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Really like this thread on American Watch Case Makers. While I was surfing the NAWCC site I came across this case that I've never seen before. It's on a Waterbury Columbian Duplex Series H which is a 2 star class dollar watch. Any ideas as to the maker. I have a similar Waterbury, but it's in a standard no-name case.

Thank you, Roland.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Since we're on the subject of case makers, has anyone else seen or heard of gold-filled cases made by Emerson Watch Case Co.?I once owned a small 0s watch in an Emerson case, haven't seen another since.Also, I have an 18s Hampden in a "Paramount" YGF case, another apparently off-brand case.Anyone else ever seen one?Thanks again, Ted.