• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas Maiden Lane? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was offered an 18s, 17J Seth Thomas Model 5 Maiden Lane watch, but when I looked up this model, the book listed this as being in NI, nickel. The watch that I was looking at had beautiful damascening, buit it is a gilt movement. Would this change the valuation of the watch? I would like to buy this watch, but need feedback on whether it is correct.

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010
posted
Hey Ken,
None of the books that I have list a gilt model Maiden Lane. It would not be the first time I have heard of a model that is not listed,but be careful that someone didn't add the Maiden Lane script at a later date.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The Maiden Lanes were all high jeweled watches, and a 17 Jewel watch is NOT right. The "Maiden Lane" inscription is on the Barrel Bridge, making it very easy to change from a parts movement to one of the more ornate lower Jewelled Seth Thomas watches. Below are some pics I assembled from IHC185 archives to demonstrate that point. KEN, The very ornate damaskeening patterns on each of the watches pictured match on all the plates. I would bet money that the '17J Maiden Lane' you are shown has non-matching damaskeening on the barrel cover.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Ken,
The book I have lists all the Maiden Lane models as having a double roller. In the great pictures that David A posted you could see the recess under the balance wheel on the Maiden Lane which identifies the double roller feature. Yesterday John G posted a watch to identify and it was a private label model 5. I jokingly posted, "too bad it isn't a Maiden Lane." After I read about the Maidem Lane some more I realized the watches look very different because of the recess under the balance wheel. The Illistration in the price book shows a Maiden Lane without a double roller so I'm not sure if the illistation is incorrect or the listings but it's something to consider.
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Thanks for the response on this. The watch was the Model 5, but not marked Maiden Lane. Close, but no cigar.

Posts: 353 | Location: Nichols, New York in the USA | Registered: April 04, 2010