Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A.N. Anderson 975 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
Last winter I bought a 975 with an A.N. Anderson dial. A search found that this movement was originally sold to A.N. Anderson and I believe the case was probably the original. I finally got around to cleaning and oiling it the other day so thought I would show some photos. I paid too much for this and was a bit disappointed in the condition of the dial and movement. The movement has a few scratches from a sloppy repair or clean at one time. My thought is that since this was originally sold to Anderson, by Hamilton, that I should keep it together. I have better 975 movements on hand.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
The case

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
The movement

IHC Member 1016
posted
Also have a 940 in a silver case with a Anderson dial and this was originally sold to A. N. Anderson as well.

posted
Mike on the 975, in my opinion I would leave the movement in since you can show that it was orginally sold to Mr Anderson. Now if you want to change a wind wheel, some screws or a hold down plate to a better looking part I am not sure how anyone could complain about doing that.
I have two AN Anderson, the 353 and a converted 149>348 Elgin hunter so it is always nice to have these in your collection since they are a bit rare.
On paying too much, some watches I have paid more than I typically would have because it might have more meaning or interest to me than others. Sometimes keeping it intact is better than having it pristine, could be worse, there was one nice BWR that I saw one time that was near pristine, other than the fact that some knucklehead decided to take a dremel or something and grind away the words B.W. Raymond off the plate.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Claude, I saw a 930 that was a private label and marked as such on the movement. Some helpful soul engraved the word "Hamilton" on the movement to render it worthless in my opinion.