Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Silver IWC Pocket Watch Case "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Folks

I would value your opinion on a silver IWC pw case that was recently passed in without a bid. The starting price was $55US + $19US pp to New Zealand. I emailed the seller to see if he would except a buy now price. He came back to me with $70US. I countered with $60US but he won't except it. I want to use it to house a Cal 57. It will need the spacer taken out of the old case and fitted to this one.

What made me suspicious was that the seller came from the Ukraine.

The case looks pretty dirty and needs a good dung out. You can't tell if it is worn or dirty.

The link is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150306847783

Gordon

Posts: 184 | Location: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: February 02, 2007
posted
Ooops ..... think you may have slipped up there Gordon, could be a very long time before another fully signed IWC case like that comes up again.

If you want and Need that case, I'd grab it even at $70US.
I know this won't really be an issue in this situation, but the increase in value of the cased watch movement will far outstrip the outlay of the case.

It has some wear to the engine turning on the caseback, which is to be expected, and all the crud will come off easily with 'Silver Dip' or similar treament - and a good polish.
Doesn't appear to be any damage on it though.

Be carefull with the setting pin position, these are often in different places even by a mm or two, but you Should be safe with IWC - I'd ask the seller for the distance between centres of the pendant and pin hole to be sure.

The seller has a 100% + FB, which ok: can mean no one's bothered with the hassle of a retaliatory neg, but as sellers can't neg a buyer now, don't think that's an issue.
He also has a good international buyer base!
Appears to be less than efficient shipping stuff out though looking at his chart rating!

Use a credit card via Paypal, then if anything goes wrong, you've got the final 'trump card' of a chargeback if it all goes pearshaped!
All sellers now Have to offer Paypal, so unless the seller has nuked the option to accept credit cards, you should be able to pay by those means.

If it's a sale outside eBay, then watch out (no pun intended) Wink you're in the 'twilight zone' and anything could happen!

Good luck

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi John

Thanks for your reply and advice. I will ask him to measure the distance between the pendant and pin.

Of course this all hinges (another pun) on whether your movement is the right setting type and fits the case. However as you say, having a solid silver IWC case at the ready can't be a bad thing.

Regards

Gordon

Posts: 184 | Location: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: February 02, 2007
posted
Hey Gordon, just re-read the description and I recon he should have called it the 'Tardis'

Described as a wrist watch case, And, the inside is bigger than the outside ........

Any 'Dr Who' fans out there Wink Big Grin Razz

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi John

I did actually ask him on a separate occasion about the diameters and he confirmed that the case takes a 44mm diameter movement. He must be have miss typed his description or is confused between internal and external.

Gordon