Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What a "Crown" NYS Watch really is?! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A few years ago, Chris Abell asked about a "Crown" watch he had that "looked too good to be Swiss". I have run into one of these too. Evidently while "looking Swiss", these were made by New York Standard Watch co. and cased by Keystone with the same plate design in 12 and 16 sizes with both open Face and Hunter Case styles. They are lowballed in both Shugart and Meggers/Ehrhardt, but I must agree with Chris, the workmanship is above that and I have no idea why these are not considered more valuable. Look at the case!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
and the movement of this 16s Beauty! It looks like "Triple Crown to me, Dial, Case, and Movement all with a Crown.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Hey David, Funny,I never even noticed these before. Looks like something I need to find for my NYS collection.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Some further "rummage" produced an early D Gruen 19j 5 adj #756 . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
While the plate cuts are slightly different the layout generally agrees with Mr. Townsend's adequate sketch of the Open Face version of the Crown. I believe that the "Crown" is in fact a very well made Swiss movement that was for a brief time sold by Keystone through the auspices of NYS Watch Co., and is of nearly the same merit as the Howard/ Keystones.

posted
Hi David, I while back I too had one of these Crown pocket watches, except it was an 0 size hunter case. Same as with your it also was in a beautiful case. I also thought the movement looked more than a little swiss made. Forgive me fo rthe quality of the pictures, still trying to work out formatting.
Geoff

Posts: 24 | Location: Adelaide in South Australia | Registered: July 15, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Far too many of us overlook these unappreciated treasures in our mad rush to acquire yet another Roll Eyes of the better known watches. What beautiful Big Grin cases those are.

Thanks to Dave and Geoff for raising our awareness.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Hi

I just picked up nice 12s Crown hunter case. The movement is all rusted and the dial is bad shape. I do have a 12s open face 12 Crown watch also.
I will post a picture when the light is better.

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
What have I got here?
Just bought this Crown 15J described as a 14s. The price guide shows a 12s 7J and a 16s in a 7 or 15J.
I hope I have a 16. Sorry the two pictures weren't sized equally.
The serial number is PD0233

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Great catch Dave. My guess is it is a 16s, they came in both 12 and 16. Have to see what comes.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Dave,
Right now I think I have a 50/50 chance that it's a 16. The 12s looks just like it.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1110
posted
Speaking of New York Standard and Crown's, I used to have a 16S 15 jewel open face N.Y.S. It looked just like a Howard series 11 RR Chronometer, except the balance was on the opposite side so the plates were reversed.It was a nice watch, kind of wish I had kept it.I think N.Y.S. watches are overlooked today,but they were pretty popular back in the day.They were much better made than the Swiss watches they had to compete with.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Odd fact, I have sold 30-40 Crown watches over the years. Almost all went to Israel. No idea why.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009