Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is this correct case for this bunn special "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Going through some watches I found this bunn special and wondered if this was a correct case for it.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Movement No extra screw marks

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Rob

Give us a look at the inside of the case. I think this movement is to early for a Hamilton case.

Keith

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
That was my thoughts to

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
This is a Hamilton factory case which first appeared in 1924, but which would not be correct for any Illinois watch. It's the Cross Bar model (see Complete Price Guide to Watches, page 236). A very nice example too.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Thats what I was thinking. That is as nice as they come for examples.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Well thanks Ed, Keith and Jared I only remember seeing these usually on the 992E but what had me confused was no extra screw marks. So not being an expert I wondered if some Illinois were cased in these like the model 2. What case is correct for this movement I guess it might be a time for a seperation if I have a correct case.

IHC Life Member
posted
Interesting enough this movement probably didnt spend much time in this case as when I popped the movement out the screw marks are almost invisible. Case is in great shape the more I look at it not even the typical wear through in bow and pendant area normally seen on these.

posted
Rob-

The bunn could go in about any type of railroad case, although a 1st model bunn case would probably be most appropriate. In all reality the case here is worth more than the movement. I would not be surprised if this case would bring $200 plus. The case would be a good one to put in an IHC auction here as there are plenty of collectors of hamiltons and quality watches here where a premium case as this one would go well. Heck I would start it out for you at $150 too Big Grin. I'm guessing Larry would top me quickly too.

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Robert,

The Bunn Special movement is from 1923 and at that time would not have been factory cased. Any period correct case will work for it.

Perhaps a jeweler removed a new 992 and placed the Bunn Special in it before the Hamilton case screws wore into the case or the original 992 screw marks were cleaned up. I was just reading the Meggers and Ehrhardt Illinois Watch Co. book and it mentions both scenarios in relation to case screw marks. The 992E came out after this case wasn’t available so only a 992 is correct for the “Crossbar”. According to the database here on the Wadsworth cases this one is from 1924.

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Rob,

The case that you have is Wadsworth-Hamilton number 6903694 from as Ed pointed out the 1924 time-frame. These cases, are discussed illustrated with images and charted in detail year-by-year right here...

CLICK FOR: Wadsworth-Hamilton Case Numbers History and Database

You case is known a "Cross-Bar" and being the first Hamilton case specially designed for Railroad use it would have originally held a Hamilton 992 movement installed at the factory during 1924 production.

Now to the Illinois Bunn Special movement, that number 4349532 is from 1923 and would have most likely been housed in a generic case chosen by the first owner at the original selling retail jeweler's.

Hope this is of help,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Robert,

Looking closer at the case back there are several jewelers’ marks so since the Illinois case screw marks are faint or non-apparent the original marks were probably cleaned up. Now that you have removed the movement there may be sighs of a Hamilton case screw pattern visible from inside the case.

The condition does look better than average for this model case. The white gold filled cases are less common than the yellow and green is the least common.

I agree with Jared about the value of the case being $200.00+ and as far as the Bunn Special I would expect $200.00 - $300.00 depending on what case you put it in. The good thing is the case screw marks will line up with any Illinois model 9 and there are many of them.

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Robert, I have a REALLY nice first model case that, that movement of yours would fit right in to really nice!

Want to SWAP????? Smile

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010