• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South-Bend Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a southbend watch and i have heard they are rare, i presume certain models are.I would like to post a picture and see what people can tell me about it.Also i was wondering what it might be worth or isit something i should hang onto ?

IHC Member 261
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

posted
I finally found the image, and here it is.I know the focus could be better and i am holding the camera in my hans as i do not have a tripod.

IHC Member 261
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Hi Kevin!

The South-Bend 215 was a good quality medium priced 16-size watch. They built 20,000 of them in 20 runs so they were fairly popular. The 215 is classified as a "Model 2" which was a completely new movement with no relation to the previous designs of the Columbus Watch Company. The famous 16-size grade 223 and 229 The Studebaker movements were also based on this design.

Your example, number 738569 dates to about 1912 when the South-Bend Watch Company was doing well and celebrating their tenth year in business. The sun-ray damaskeening is quite attractive and compares favorably with many higher priced watches. I like the design so much I have one just like yours in a glass-backed display case. Mine is number 569136 and it's the 136th 215 produced in 1909 or thereabouts.

You mentioned rarity. The most common South-Bend watches are the 12-size grade 429 with some 95,000 produced. The highest production 16-size is the 17-jewel grade 211 with 54,000 finished. Certain other models are very scarce with only 200 or 500 made. Your watch is not common and it certainly is worthwhile. The grade 215 is a sturdy, reliable and generally trouble-free timekeeper in the South-Bend tradition.

Did you notice the little curved arrow with a screw beside it on your movement? In your picture you'll see it right between the serial number and the "Double Roller" words. We discussed that device here...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=3206049661&f=3426047761&m=8236009442

I'll send a copy of my "Incomplete History of the South-Bend Watch Company" by eMail to help you get started on understanding more about the company and its fascinating products. If anyone else would like a copy just let me know. South-Bend watches are underrated and not fully appreciated. Their values are increasing steadily as more collectors discover them.

Hope this is helpful.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Stu Goldstein
posted
Lin I’d sure appreciate it if you’d send me a copy of "Incomplete History of the South-Bend Watch Company." Thank you very much!

Posts: 355 | Location: Northern Idaho in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 26, 2002
Picture of Mike Dalke
posted
Lindell,

I also would like an e-Mail copy of your "Incomplete History of the Southbend Watch Company."

Thank you,

Mike

Posts: 16 | Location: Loveland, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: June 15, 2003
Picture of David Johnson
posted
I would love to add a copy of that to my modest library as well.

Thanks Lin!

David Johnson aka "Doc"
NAWCC Member #155016
IHC Member #169
HisLove1Me! (just ask!)

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Lindell,

I would also like a copy, Thanks Bruce

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
Lindell,
E-mail me a copy also.
Thanks, George.

Posts: 52 | Location: Richland, Washington USA | Registered: April 19, 2003
posted
Lindell,

I also would like an e-Mail copy of your "Incomplete History of the Southbend Watch Company".

Thank you,

Phil Dellinger
NAWCC# 157070
IHC Life Member (L12)

Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Well Lindell,just add me to the list too please! Big Grin

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
In regard to the case of my 215 South Bend.I noticed today, first time i saw it.That the movement is in a South Bend case, there are no other screw marks i can see on the case.Would this make the watch,s value more, being in a South Bend case. Smile

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Kevin,

Slightly more to SB collectors. Could you send me the case serial # and dial style? Thanks!

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Hi Frank, good to see you back, ok if i just send a photo of dial, easier than describing, case serial number is 8803053 South Bend 25 year case and marked Pilgrim.
Will send photo soon of dial to your email adress Frank.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Kevin,

South-Bend Pilgrim Cases are not common. Post the dial image and the case as well if you have a moment.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Lindell, Please add me to the list for the Southbend info.
Thanks

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
I will get to it tommorow, kind of late now.Glad to see there is still interest in this topic, watch cases are very interesting also.

posted
Dial and case pictures.

south bend 1

posted
2nd picture, sorry about my pictures i don,t have my tripod.I took this one through a loupe.

s b 2

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Kevin,

Thanks for sharing that info. Your watch looks to be all original. The case serial number and dial are all from the same time period, give or take a year, of the movement manufacture (1912). While most SB 16s movements were sold separate and then cased at the point of sale they were offered "cased and timed" direct from the factory. Yours is in my opinion an unargumentative example of just such a watch.

Best,

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Thanks Frank, it,s a keeper for sure, it will stay in my collection .Nice watch overall, and one day it will get a clean and oil. Smile