Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Case mark question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I have a case mark question , it is an 18S hunting case, which I believe to be brass.It has a maker's mark of a pennant-shaped flag with a star in it.Would that be from the Star Watch Case Co.? I've never seen this mark before, most Star cases I have or have seen just have a "Star" by itself and are marked "S.W.C. Co.", or the company name spelled out.Anyone have any idea?I don't have a copy of Roy Ehrhardt's trademarks book to look it up in.Thanks, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ted

I believe the cases with the pennant(flag) & star were made by Dueber Watch Case Manufacturing Co.

I will try to find my books but you might search the forum for their case marks.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007

posted
Just guessing

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Tom & Jon.I never gave it a thought that it could be a Dueber.It looks just like the pic Jon posted, but just has a star in the flag.I've seen many Hampden movements with those style flags on them too.If it does turn out to be a Dueber case, that would be good, since I plan to put a 2-tone Special Railway in it.

IHC Member 1110
posted
This may not be too practical to do, but wouldn't it be nice to have a forum or a page somewhere here of the known case makers and their markings?Seems like these case questions come up often enough,it would be awful handy to have case information where it's easy to find.There were so many case companies and trademarks, and new ones turn up every now and then.Thanks, Ted.

Picture of John Beale
posted
Roy Ehrhardt published a spiral bound book with the title "TradeMarks Watch Cases Pocket Watches Precious Stones Diamonds". I have used it to help ID many watch cases and found it to be quite good. Your trademark is listed. It appears to have about 1000 illustrations of case trademarks. I do not know if it is still available in print.

John

Posts: 222 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thank you,John.I do know about Ehrhardt's book, but unfortunately I don't have a copy of it.Funny, I have most of his watch books, but I never got that one.I'll have to watch out for one....Best regards, Ted.

posted
if you are willing to pay it can be had. I got one on Amazon for about 100.00 but it was worth every penny.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
I sold mine for $200 on ebay Big Grin
since ther is one on internet for free Razz

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of John Beale
posted
Who knew that the pocket watch books I bought 12 years ago would triple in value and the watches would go down. Go figure.

Posts: 222 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I agree that the case is very likely a Dueber case.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009