Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Watch Factory "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1411
posted
Here are a few Photos of the Waltham Watch Factory Today. It is now used as Offices and Condos.

Posts: 232 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 26, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Great scenes. Were these from your trip back there this summer?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1508
posted
Beautiful! I'm so glad that the building was used for something and not thoughtlessly torn down, as was the fate of the Elgin building in Illinois. The Hamilton Watch Company complex in Lancaster,PA is another beautiful example of preservation of these historic landmarks. Thanks for posting these. Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I have a banker friend who lives and works in Waltham, and I remember years ago he was telling me the decision to build condos or tear the whole thing down was resting on a razor thin edge.

The property value was WAY up there if they could tear the factory down, but the historical aspect of the buildings had a huge say-so in how they should proceed.

He had been attending public hearings when they were held, and the locals were very 'vocal' in their disapproval of the 'tear down' approach.

Fortunately they chose 'wisely'.

He also told me that he used to walk the river bank below the factory with his Dad when the river was down and look for old disgarded dials. The factory used to just dump inperfect dials into the river out the back door. Eek

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002