• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Can I bend the hand back "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This is an Elgin 0s grade 320 I've been working on. I've gotten it up and running, and am absolutely in love with it, but as you can see it has a bent minute hand. It came this way.

Can I bend it back to shape if I am gentle, or will it snap?

I'd rather not have to search far and wide for a new set of hands if I can fix it.

You guys go ahead and keep on collecting those big 'ole railroad watches...more of the delicate fancy ones left for me!

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009
posted
The movement

IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Dale
Lovely watches those small Elgins and not too expensive either. Yet. At least not this side of the great water. Not that many collectors I guess. According to Murphy's Law it´s going to snap if you don´t have any replacement hands. If you do, it might work just nicely to bend it back. That said, my suggestion is that you leave it as it is till you have another set of hands.
Regards Krister

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
posted
I actually bought a second watch with a fancy dial to use the hands because I didn't think it was as pretty, but once it arrived I decided not to cannabalize it because I liked it too. So I'm just going to look for another set of hands in the meantime.

I think only another watch person would notice the hands. My friends don't seem to.

So I think I might not mess with them. I'd be much more upset if I broke it than it just being bent right now.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Dale i have quite a few sets of these fancy hands if i knew the length and hole size i might have what you need.I have bent a few of these back with sucess but most of the time they will break very thin hands right at the center post.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Oh I'll go measure! Thanks.

posted
I am not an expert, but do any watchmakers know whether applying some heat to the metal might make it a bit less likely to break?

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

This is a very interesting discussion.

On the hour hand Dale showed at the beginning of this topic, I have straightened hands with a slight bend like this one by essentially sliding the jaws of needle-nose pliers along the hand with a light grip. Do not try total straightening the first time, do it little by little bringing it into shape gently. It may be necessary to go ever so slightly beyond where you want it to be but usually the hand will come back into proper alignment. Be careful to not overdo it or leave rough marks, this can usually be accomplished on an hour hand like Dale's with the hand in place.

With a minutes hand, you might want to remove it in order to not cause the hand to pop off and fly across the room. Dale's minute hand may be beyond help and may just snap off but is worth a try.

The key to straightening hands is to do it a little at a time.

That's how I do it, let's see what others might be able to add to this subject.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Well, ever have one of those days where you know you should stop working because you have the dexterity of a baboon?

I wasn't even really trying to bend the hand, but managed to break it anyway.

Tragic.

Samie, it's half inch long from the point to outside of the hole. I didn't measure the hole yet. I can't look at it right now. I'm so mad at myself!

IHC Life Member
Picture of Mitch Markovitz
posted
Dale,

Don't get mad. I'm real good at getting seconds hands off without the shaft.

Posts: 464 | Location: Northern Indiana in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2009
posted
Thanks. It actually makes me feel better knowing others have their moments too!

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Dale

I have them daily, yesterday I just finished putting a new staff on a watch & then before I could even get it near the watch I broke the staff. All you can do is shrug your shoulders & order a new staff or hand.

If Samie doesn't have one of those hands, I will look for the ones I have. I got a bunch of those several years ago & stashed them some where.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Funny thing is I really didn't have a fit. I think I just stood there looking at it.

There is something very zen about watchmaking.

posted
Let me know if you need one of these Louis XIV hands, I have a few extra. I like these Elgin hands as they will fit 0 size Rockfords, with a little broaching of the minute hand. BTW when these hands are broken off at the hub then they are referred to as "Louis XVI hands". (as in "guillotined").

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Dale,
That's a great looking watch and it's good that you're going to fix it and make it better than you found it. You did the right thing by trying to save a part and although it broke this time in the future you'll have different results if you keep trying. Yesterday I broke a balance staff on a watch I was putting in beat. I ended up replacing the staff and poising the balance. Someone had swithed the the timing screws all around. It took me 8 hours but now the watch runs great. Breaking parts is part of the learning process.
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I hope EVERYONE reads the words of Richard Romero in the post immediately above this one.

Those are some of the most basic points to remember!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thank you to everyone for your support. I'm not feeling too badly about the whole thing now that I understand that these kinds of things are all part of the learning process.

Today was a much better day. I put a watch in beat for the first time. To see the balance start on it's own was a great feeling.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Dale i have some elgin parts watches i will try and fit a set of hands too a o szie then send them too you if i can find the right lenth i should have what you need.

posted
Thanks Samie. William's taking a look too. I'll let you guys know when one or the other finds a pair I can use.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Dale here is a couple of sets of hands similar too yours one of the hour hands fit a 0 size movement i have the minute hands are what i call blanks these have a small hole that can be brocahed too the size you need for your watch..I will be glad too mail these too you if you think you can use them.

posted
Oh yes!! Thanks so much. I'll email you with my info.