• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Wood watch case "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Recently I acquired a 16-size goldfilled hunter case signed inside both back lids, J. R. Wood & Sons New York Guaranteed 25 Years 766320. The case is of the usual American hunter style, and contains an Elgin movement made in the late 'teens. I Googled up a 1919 catalog describing Wood & Sons as a general jewelry etc. store in New York, founded in 1850. Does the serial number suggest the case manufacturer to anyone? Or is there a known relationship between Wood and a case manufacturer? Thanks.

Joe Jones

Posts: 47 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA | Registered: April 24, 2006
posted
J.R. Wood was a case manufacturer as well as manufacturing jeweler. I believe the company is still in existence as "Art-Carved" Check this site for a 1923 catalog of their various products, which makes clear they were a big manufacturer, not a jewelry store, and they made a wide range of gold-filled products. They may have dropped watch cases by 1923, but the 1919 catalog you found shows cases. I have two watch cases made by them.

Norman

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005
posted
Thank you for the information, Norman.

Joe Jones

Posts: 47 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana USA | Registered: April 24, 2006