Tools
Reply to Post

BENCHMARK HAMILTON CASE, THE REAL DEAL! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

BENCHMARK HAMILTON CASE, THE REAL DEAL!

Here is an original and fully factory documented watch. But think about this... if you were shown the watch in question without the box and papers you may well dismiss it as being of no consequence...

VINTAGE HAMILTON POCKET WATCH IN BOX WITH GUARANTEE

So why am I getting so excited about an otherwise ordinary 974 Hamilton?

(1) This one may represent the earliest fully documented example of a factory cased Hamilton Watch in a Star Watch Company Case.

(2) From this example we now know that Hamilton was in fact using Star Cases for their factory cased watches as early as 1927 production.

(3) This one is a Hamilton documented original in a case with no markings to indicate the case is in any way associated with the Hamilton Movement.

Your thoughts, observations and comments are welcome!

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Saw that one... nice... reckon they will be in a biddin war now... Wink Big Grin

This style case seems to resemble the first Traffic Special case....
and this is a 1929 Time book...

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Talk about "icing on the cake" that completes the documentation.

Days like this make our hobby so much fun!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Beautiful posts Lindell and Terry!!... I have seen dozens of these cases through the years and never ever considered that they were in any way associated with Hamilton because they were not marked. Guess I was too preoccupied with other watches to even care. I do however find it very interesting that Hamilton factory cased this watch and never stamped "Hamilton" in it. Even their wristwatchs usually bore their name in the case and most factory cased 12 sizes they made had "Hamilton" some where on or in the case. Nice to learn something new and see an original boxed example. Guess the value will go up on these cases somewhat now with the knowledge of Hamilton in the picture. Happy "New Discovery" Hunting!